Feminism | Posted by Julie Z on 09/29/2009

Bust Magazine: Ellen, Alia and Teens oh my!

IMG_0035

couldn't find an image online...so here's my copy! yayayayyy

Every so often, a magical thing happens. I open the mailbox and buried beneath bills that have no relevance to me and the catalogues that try to sell me more useless crap, there is Bust Magazine. Today was one of those days.

But today was even more magical for two reasons (2.5 really):

1) Ellen Page and Alia Shawkat are on the cover to promote Whip It!, and therefore are interviewed (ashdklfjasldkfjalkdsfh!!!!). In addition to my love for these young women in general, they also represent the brilliance of Juno and Arrested Development. Clever writing just doesn’t get any better than in these two pieces of artistry.

2) The article after the cover interview: “Smells Like Teen Spirit” – an account by a teenage feminist on the state of teenage feminists in the nation today (we exist, it’s true! yay acknowledgment!)

2.5) I am quoted in this article. Cuz I know stuffs about the teenz who want equality. This also effectively accomplishes item #236 on my bucket list: to be in some way relatable to Ellen Page, so if I ever meet her I can claim a legitimate connection. And also, bragging rights. To show how likely I thought this ever happening would be, #237 on my bucket list is to successfully levitate. My bucket list is ranked in likelihood of my procrastinating, lazy ass ever accomplishing each task.

So I can cross that one off. Sweeeeeeet.

So, firstly, Ellen Page and Alia Shawkat.

Ellen Page = love

God they are wonderful. I would like to copy and paste the entire article here so you can all just swim in its deliciousness, but I think that crosses the line of plagiarism. And I know about plagiarism. My school drills the evils of plagiarism into our soft, moldable minds daily. We are taught to worship Diana Hacker, goddess of the MLA citation. Our library has a book on clear display that explores in depth the evils of plagiarism and how to avoid it. (One was don’t photocopy shit then say you wrote it. Obviously, I immediately photocopied that page, wrote “by Julie Zeilinger” and giggled to myself. Alone. In the library. SOCRE 1 FOR JULE)

Anyway fave quotes:

Advice for misfit high schoolers:

Alia: That you’re cool. High school has nothing to do with real life.
Ellen: I know it sounds cheesy, but be yourself. If you don’t like French new wave movies you don’t have to pretend like you do.

On sexiness:

Ellen: It’s about openness and being honest and feeling good in your skin. To me that’s sexy. I don’t feel pressure to look that way. But sometimes I feel weird pressure, because if you’re not that kind of sexy, then that means you don’t want the boy to kiss you because you’re not wearing the thing for that boy. But then, I know a lot of guys who don’t find that sexy.

Alia Shawkat

Alia Shawkat

Do they consider themselves feminists?

Ellen: Yeah, sure, of course, definitely. Wouldn’t you think everybody would be a feminist? It’s annoying there has to be a label for something like that. Ultimately, I’m a humanist. But if someone asks it as a yes-or-no question, I’d have to say obviously. I hope that everyone would be.

The biggest issues young women are dealing with today:

Ellen: I think absolute media saturation is just horrifying. Making young girls feel like they’re not good enough to propel them to consume more is so sad. You see girls who just don’t like themselves or feel like they need to be prettier or skinnier.

And once more for good measure, the trailor for Whip It, the movie these girls are both promoting, that comes out Friday (that i’m about flipping out over):

As for “Smells Like Teen Spirit” … the digital copy isn’t up yet so I can’t link to it! Bummer! Essentially 18 year old Carmen Rodi examines what teenage feminists are up to these days, such as forming Feminist Alliances, starting magazines and blogs (oh hey…) and joining other humanitarian groups. A great point she makes is how basically teenage feminists are often told that they are gay – both in the insult way and in the literal, if you’re a feminist you’re a lesbian way, which scares a lot of would be teenage feminists away. Carmen pretty much summed it up: “It’s so sad to think of how people are creating an environment where wanting equality is something embarrassing.”

Which is exactly it. I mean every time I tell people I have a feminist blog, they look at me like “oh hey, I’d hide that if I were you.” When I tell them it’s called the fbomb the looks don’t get much better (very much to my amusement, I must admit).

Shame culture, go away. You make my life, full to the brim of healthy and expressive behavior, seem shameful and that irks me.

Seriously, everybody, pick up a copy. In addition to these articles, this mag has articles like “(DIY) Mad Mend” a piece on folk legend Buffy Sainte-Marie, and tons of other awesome stuff. A really great issue.

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (7 votes, average: 4.43 out of 5)

Read other posts about: , , , , , ,

• Hope Springs Internal @ at 1:34 pm, September 29th, 2009

Ahhh, I’m so excited about this! I cannot WAIT to pick up a copy after work. And I’m totally wondering why I don’t already subscribe to this. Congrats on being mentioned in the article. You rock!

• Brenna @ at 5:30 pm, September 29th, 2009

I LOVE BUST! Just like you, I get super excited every time I see it in my mailbox. I loved that “Smells Like Teen Spirit” article, and I was glad to see your name in it. If there’s anyone who best represents teen feminists being successful and awesome, it’s you, Julie.

• Zoe @ at 6:32 pm, September 29th, 2009

Oh, shit! Cool. I just subscribed to Bust so hopefully this comes in the mail soon.

• Steph @ at 10:44 pm, September 29th, 2009

My god. If there’s anything that could possibly make me want to see Whip It any more than I already do (doubtful!), it’s probably this article.

Congrats on getting mentioned, Julie! You deserve it.

• foshizzle @ at 11:44 am, September 30th, 2009

i love BUST and i love that this month’s issue has so many articles about teens. did you just find out about the mag though? cuz i’ve always been shocked that bust.com doesn’t appear in your blogroll. what the?

• Suzanne Wright @ at 11:59 am, September 30th, 2009

As a former teenage feminist (and current middle-aged feminist), I applaud your views, your courage and your blog!

Keep the faith.

• Diane A. @ at 12:36 pm, September 30th, 2009

It’s an AMAZING BUST issue!!!! Please note that Isa, vegan hero of life, now has a column. I started a feminist group at my high school, and though we’ve encountered some resistance it hasn’t been nearly as bad as what is described in “Smells Like Teen Spirit.”

• Shaki @ at 2:00 pm, September 30th, 2009

I never knew about Bust Magazine until I read this article now I have to grsab myself a copy.

• Toongrrl @ at 3:28 pm, September 30th, 2009

I love BUST!!! I can’t wait to pick it up at Borders!

• Amy CT @ at 4:02 pm, October 1st, 2009

This is possibly a stupid question (Ok, PROBABLY a stupid question… >.<), but can I get that in the UK?

• Brooke @ at 4:57 pm, October 1st, 2009

Am I the only one that finds a “feminist” coming of age story about roller derby a contradiction? Everyone wants to act like it is about empowerment, but it is more like women dressing up in cute outfits or “alternative” outfits to beat the hell out of each other for a male audience?

• Zoe @ at 5:50 am, October 3rd, 2009

That sounds so cool! Do you know if it’s possible to get in Australia? And congrats on being mentioned, Julie! Keep up your good work! You’re an inspiration. :)

• Kaate @ at 11:41 am, October 4th, 2009

After reading “Smells like Teen Spirit” I ran around my apartment hollering at my boyfriend about how it sucks that nothing has changed in the 8 years since I was in high school, but that there are amazing empowered young women and how lovely that is. We then had a good long conversation about feminism. So satisfying. All you ladies are incredible. Thank you. Lala.

• Alex F @ at 11:26 pm, October 7th, 2009

AAAHHHHH!! I LOVE BUST!!! Plus i just finished reading this one and thought it the best one so far ^.^ i really liked the organic beauty tips with stuff you can find in your home. I can’t remember the name of the article…but anyways, BUST rocks!!!!

• K8 AH @ at 3:18 pm, October 9th, 2009

Now I can’t wait to get home (I’ve been on tour for 2 weeks) to get my mail! Julie! That is sooooo cool that you were mentioned!

• Shane Landazuri @ at 7:19 pm, March 5th, 2010

I like the layout of your blog and I’m going to do the same thing for mine. Do you have any tips? Please PM ME on yahoo @ AmandaLovesYou702

• Daniel de Culla @ at 12:47 am, September 20th, 2010

I am in Love Smellying Teen Spirits. I want to meet like to dream about.