Feminism | Posted by Julie Z on 11/3/2009

Billboard of aborted fetuses outside Phoenix high school

Story

the bus-bilboard that drove around a Phoenix high school

A few weeks ago, this 22-foot billboard truck, showing a first trimester aborted fetus, circled a Phoenix area high school. The billboards were sponsored by The Center for Bio-Ethical Reform (CBR) [Warning: Graphic Site], who chose Camelback High School because of their “innovative and proactive ‘school choice’ campaign.”

The Regional Director for CBR, John Walsh, defended his actions, saying, “High school students are sexually active and often resort to having an abortion in order to escape from the unintended consequences of their promiscuity. They need to be educated about what abortion looks like before they commit to such a course of action.”

I’m sorry…this is education? There is nothing educational about this billboard. And insinuating that an abortion is the easy way out? Yes, we all know that teenage girls today are completely uncontrollable sluts, who don’t think twice about getting knocked up, because they basically rely on abortion. They deserve to be punished for that, instead of having options. Shame on you, stupid slut. JUST NO.

What teenagers need before they “commit to such a course of action” is actual information that they can use, like visiting this site,  not a bloody picture. Although this isn’t really surprising coming from the CBR. Their URL alone (abortionNO.org) pretty much sums up their mission, and the first thing you see on their website is an actual video of an abortion procedure.

Then Walsh, who really should have just stopped talking after claiming a single picture is educational, said, “‘The views and opinions of high school students regarding abortion are a lot more malleable than are those of college students,’” Walsh said. ‘We want to deliver the truth about abortion to these impressionable young minds before their future college professors close down all debate on the topic.’”

So…let’s not let them make their own decisions…let’s get them while they’re young and confused, and let them form their opinions based on a horrifying picture. And those dumb college professors have no idea what they’re talking about, anyway.

While I do have faith in teenagers to realize how messed up this advertisement is (obviously I do, and I know my friends would be truly disturbed), to think that this could possibly be a major source of information about abortion for teenagers is truly frightening. As John Walsh himself pointed out, teens deserve education. Education means facts and it means teaching about options, not trying to scare the sexual urge out of teen (which still won’t work).

*Big disappointed, angry sigh*

Thanks to Nona for the link!

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (8 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)

Read other posts about: , , ,

• Maria D @ at 12:34 pm, November 3rd, 2009

Dear Ceiling Cat, I’m emailing this to my Mass Communications teacher. She used to be in PR and I’d LOVE to hear her thoughts on this shit.

• Amy CT @ at 2:41 pm, November 3rd, 2009

Oh. My. God.

That’s… that’s… I can’t even think of a word.

Oh, no, wait. I got it.

WRONG.

Why do people think brainwashing is the answer? Really?

• amber @ at 2:49 pm, November 3rd, 2009

right-wing organisations seem to only ever use scare tactics.

• Toongrrl @ at 3:36 pm, November 3rd, 2009

I’m not surprised that right wingers would stoop to a disgusting level. Ooff! I’ve just reminded myself

• Ruthie G @ at 3:38 pm, November 3rd, 2009

I hate the use of pictures like this. They are so emotive, and emotion tends to play a bigger part than reason. What about all the things that can happen to children and parents if the circumstances aren’t right?

I am always wary of the brain washing comments though. Wouldn’t it be fairly easy for pro-life organisations to claim the same of the pro-choice lobbey? Maybe they do, I don’t know. I’m not saying this isn’t brain washing, it is, but I’ve read some pro-choice stuff that goes down the same kind of path in terms of forcefulness.

I’ve also heard something other than scare tactics from the right though-guilt. What was it I mentioned about emotive earlier?

• Sheridan T @ at 8:31 pm, November 3rd, 2009

Maybe if they actually had a case they wouldn’t be resorting to scare tactics.
    “Oh my god, it was alive!”
    Um, yeah, but at that stage it is a parasite. Feeding off the mother. It’s her choice what’s in her uterus.
    Innovative my ass.

• Steph @ at 10:08 pm, November 3rd, 2009

ugh. Not only is this a horrible and abominable shock tactic used to (try to) get people to agree, it’s a shitty one, too.

• You’ll have to excuse me @ at 11:45 am, November 4th, 2009

[...] of The F Bomb is horrified at the abortion billboards circling outside a Phoenix High School. Yes, high [...]

• Jessica S @ at 9:47 am, November 6th, 2009

I have been enrolled in Catholic School my entire life, and so I’m used to scare tactics such as this as a method of “teaching” about the “sin” of abortion. It is a disgusting, unethical way of trying to get one’s point across. Brainwash, no matter how “effective” is may be, is an inhumane way of influencing a person to think the same as you. Plus the fact that this is almost as effective as simply bombing an abortion clinic, but, oh wait, these people have already stooped that low, as to kill in an attempt to say that killing is wrong. Anyone else not see the point in that?

• Brooke @ at 6:00 pm, November 6th, 2009

Ugh. Of course they won’t show the photos of 13 year old girls who are raped in foreign countries and die because they do not have access to abortion/abortion is illegal. Those photos on their website and their “abortion video” don’t bother me because they don’t seem human or alive. What does bother me are photos I have seen of babies born in Iraq suffering from extreme birth defects because of UD bombs. If they were really against murder they would spend money trying to end the war in Iraq, so that babies were not born with horrible birth defects or born to starve to death or die from lack of clean water. Instead of spending money fighting against abortion, which is a choice not “murder” as they would choose to call it.

• Kelsey @ at 8:34 pm, November 6th, 2009

We have a van that’s covered in abortion pictures that will drive around the area throughout different cities around where I live and just pick a public place, park, and stay there for weeks.

• KS @ at 9:51 pm, November 12th, 2009

I hate how abortion debate completely villifies both sides. If you’re pro-life, then you become anti-feminist; if you’re pro-choice, you’re pro-death. But the fact remains that these decisions are solely the mother’s and religion or other beliefs have no authority to dictate other people’s decisions. Everyone deserves to have her choice and educational institutions should be advocating for that.

Ugh.

• wol @ at 4:15 pm, December 4th, 2009

Easy rule of thumb:

If *I* agree with what’s being presented, it’s “educational” or “informative.” If I disagree, it’s “brainwashing” or “propaganda.”

And if *you* agree with me, you’re obviously a well-informed, level-headed, objective thinker. If you disagree with me, you are [insert insult-string here].

KS, right on. One day, I hope (but am not betting) that we will all learn to treat disagreements as a process to arrive at Truth, instead of an argument — a verbal war — whose objective is to defeat the other side.

In the meantime, until that happy day, feel free to ask me whether a picture of aborted fetuses (or anything else) is “educational” or “brainwashing.” I’m the only one who knows… ;)

• Fred @ at 9:51 pm, February 16th, 2010

If you don’t like the picture, then maybe you should help stop the procedure. If the picture upsets you, imagine what the real thing does to people with a conscience. Let’s see, hmmm… the life of a innocent baby versus the inconvenience of the mother. I choose the baby. Our country was founded on the principle of the dignity of life. Maybe if people spent more time educating themselves instead of watching American Idol they could see the immorality of their choice. Today a fetus is aborted, tomorrow they may come for you. Just ask the Jews. Get educated and you will change your inane, childish comments. Come on attack me. I could take you with 9/10ths of my brain tied behind my back.

• Malka Stumpe @ at 9:07 am, March 22nd, 2010

[…] http://thefbomb.org/2009/11/billboard-of-aborted-fetuses-outside-phoenix-high-school
    Billboard of aborted fetuses outside Phoenix high school |
    Feminism |
    fbomb
    … Condos Offered The Legacy Golf Resort offers 328 beautifully appointed luxury guest suites housed in 12 separate buildings. Bookmarked and Pinged by http://www.westweeks.com/ [...]

• Pixie @ at 6:44 pm, September 1st, 2010

@ Fred
    Have you ever been pregnant ?
    Will you ever be pregnant ?

“Inconvenience of the mother” ? , you mean having to give up your whole life and future to raise a child that you can’t afford to feed. A child who’s father brutally raped you and got away with it?

What if the “mother” is a 10 year old girl who was raped by her father ,is it still her fault ?

Abortion is a serious thing, it is IMPOSSIBLE for a woman to have an abortion without thinking about it. It’s not some willy nilly thing , these women go through councelling before and after to ensure that they really want to go through with the procedure.

People like you make me sick , talking about consciesnce but just ignoring other people- would you look after all the babies who are born to rape and incest victims, who have severe birth defects because of drugs or radiation and live their lives in agony ?

Women are people too , we are’nt walking woombs , a woman’s life is just as important as that of a foetus

• Grey @ at 12:00 am, December 26th, 2010

I actually checked out that site but it didn’t really give an information, just a short page of fast facts. They’re just using shock value to scare young women into keeping their babies. Of course abortion is sad, but besides the graphic images can’t they provide more information?

• Grey @ at 12:04 am, December 26th, 2010

Oh and what Walsh said about teenagers being “malleable,” that’s really disturbing. Acting totalitarian. I honestly wouldn’t mind the website if they provided better information and asked nicely if you’d want to see the video instead of just playing it. We get it, it’s lots of gore.
    Knowing that adults like these have more respect and rights than me is sad.

• Dume di Paoli @ at 10:51 am, July 13th, 2012

I saw the CBR’s photo gallery – is that kind of content actually legal?
    It is sickening.
    Chez moi(in Warsaw and other cities in Poland) there was a similar thing with billboards etc on the streets in the city center. The billboards looked exactly like those used by the CBR. Especiallt the ones with photos from nazi death camps. I think abortion should never be compared with the Holocaust. It IS a completely different thing.