Awareness | Posted by Julie Z on 11/25/2009

Corduroy Skirts are a Sin

So, it’s Thanksgiving break and my brother just came home from college with plenty of stories about the happenings of the Syracuse drama department. I love me some Spring Awakening and Next to Normal, but other than mainstream Broadway I’m pretty much out of the loop when it comes to drama, and sort of just nodded along to the stories. But then, my brother told me about an impromptu protest that started amongst the students and faculty of his department. After hearing about FBomb blogger Leah’s protesting against Stupak, I was pretty stoked to hear about another instance of student activism.

Last week at Syracuse University, Michelle Deferio, Syracuse resident (not student), and her father stood on a street corner on campus holding a sign that read, “Homosexuality is a sin, Christ can set you free.”

Chris Pesto, a junior drama major, decided to take action.

In his own words, on a facebook note about the protest, Chris wrote:

11432_1213404059401_1357770001_31126858_1725600_n

Chris Pesto and Michelle Deferio

Today (Wednesday, November 18th) I left my voice lesson and noticed two adults on campus holding signs that said “Homosexuality is a sin”. First, I would just like to say that I support people with their own opinions. I think that everyone is entitled to their right to think what they want. However, when someone comes on my campus, where I pay tuition to live, I don’t think it’s appropriate to rub such a hateful sign in someone’s face. I decided that because this woman thought it was okay to make me feel uncomfortable in my home, I would retaliate and make her feel just as uncomfortable, if not more.

This woman was wearing a ankle-length corduroy skirt, which, as we all know, is a fashion nono. So, in order to make her feel uncomfortable, I stood next to her and held a sign that said Corduroy skirts are a sin! I don’t think I have ever drawn so much attention in my life. SO many people asked to take a picture with me, I got laughs, high fives and there were the few that even cursed off the woman standing behind me.

As I drew interest to what was going on with myself and the woman with the hateful sign, I started to draw a crowd that stood with me in support. Before I knew it I had 100+ people holding signs for gay rights asking people to honk their horns to support. I was interviewed by a news station, and more than 5 student organization papers, and the post standard of syracuse.

I never expected anybody to come stand by me and support and I appreciate it so much that everyone came! It meant so much and it proved to those ignorant people that we aren’t afraid, and we will put up a fight.

I’m proud that Syracuse has such a homosexual friendly community.

According to an article in The Daily Orange, Michelle and Jim Deferio are members of the Open-Air Campaigners – an evangelist group who preach their beliefs in public places, such as sidewalks, parks, and apparently college campuses. When asked about the students protesting against them, Jim stated, “”We have free speech in this country, but you don’t have the freedom to not be offended.” (Which I think can best be interpreted as “we have the right to offend you” but please, correct me if I’m wrong on that one).

Although it may have started as a single, humorous defense on Chris Pesto’s part, his one action turned into a protest for a more loving and accepting community. Administration officials heard the call of their students and stated that the Deferios were no longer welcome on Syracuse’s campus.

All I can say is rock on. I mean that sign is so great. I think it’s really cool that somebody could look at that sign, which to Chris was in a way a personal attack as he identifies as gay, and not respond with anger, but with a sense of humor. I always feel pretty weary about protests for “love” that only end up attacking the opposing side. This was clearly handled pretty well.

Go Syracuse!

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (364 votes, average: 4.86 out of 5)

Read other posts about: , , , ,

• Toongrrl @ at 12:02 pm, November 25th, 2009

Haaaaaaa!!! I’m not so fashionable

• dare2believe @ at 12:21 pm, November 25th, 2009

Understand everyone! Corduroy skirts are a SIN! A big,m dangerous sin. I don’t wear cordyroy skirts, thanks god.

• sammy @ at 4:31 pm, November 25th, 2009

I was there! That guy and his daughter come every few months and spread hatred – but this is the first time I’ve seen the campus respond. It was one of the coolest things I’ve seen at Syracuse, specifically because it was unplanned and sporadic. Thanks for writing this up – I’m so proud of my campus and I want everyone to know!

Also, who is your brother? Just wondering :-)

• Bruce H @ at 9:13 am, November 26th, 2009

In fact, in America you don’t have a right to not be offended. But the answer to offensive speech is more speech, not censorship. Kudos to the students of Syracuse for taking positive action that peacefully strengthens free speech.

I’m a little uncomfortable with the school’s reaction though. I’m not sure that they should be telling people that they are not welcome on campus because of their views, no matter how offensive.

• Jenna @ at 10:09 am, November 26th, 2009

Ohhhh my God, that was funny. Just what I needed on a boring fall morning.

• madison @ at 1:16 pm, November 26th, 2009

WOW. Thanks for this, very interesting.

And then there’s this skirt in the news, another issue of sexism on campus:

• niranjan pande @ at 2:17 pm, November 26th, 2009

i am traditional man.

• John @ at 9:05 pm, November 26th, 2009

I fail to see how expressing your opinion is ‘spreading hatred.’ I think the only hatred being spread here is directed straight at that young woman for expressing an opinion that you disagree with. Kudos to the young woman with the sign for standing up for her convictions.

• Toongrrl @ at 12:52 am, November 27th, 2009

Ohhh…Jenna you are an awesome Christian, along with Jimmy Carter, who really acted out our religon’s values of love rather than bad mouthing radical liberals and others

• Renovation Therapy @ at 10:30 am, November 27th, 2009

Love it. Rock on!

• Kim @ at 4:39 pm, November 27th, 2009

One of the most awesome, amazing, wonderful, loving people I know happens to be a homosexual.

I’ll stand up for him to anyone, any day.

Chris Pesto’s reply should be the reaction we ALL give back when faced with hateful, insecure morons who CALL themselves “Christians”.

• Alex F @ at 7:14 pm, November 27th, 2009

Ah man, this rocks. I Love this guy!! Haha. That brought a smile to my face-it’s super funny! But look how mad that girl looks in the picture!! LOL :D I love this, thanks Julie!!

• Mara @ at 8:51 pm, November 27th, 2009

This has to be one of the most clever and creative protests I have ever seen… Good for him!

• K8 AH @ at 9:12 pm, November 27th, 2009

Awesome! I love stories like this!

• spacewarriorgirl @ at 1:44 pm, November 28th, 2009

Love it! What a great response to the homophobes. I wish I had thought of it myself!

• lacy @ at 6:48 pm, November 28th, 2009

In the last days, right will be wrong, love for hate, and darkness for light. all of these things are currently running through out the blood stream of humanity. God is coming back weither or not we believe it or not

• T-Rex @ at 11:49 pm, November 28th, 2009

What a hateful reaction to a peaceful assembly. The school’s reaction is unconstitutional. The hateful student who attacked an individual’s attire has no more right to hold a sign on a public campus that the woman, and had she been a student, he still would have spread his hatred toward Christians. To the “Christians” who don’t judge, you’re morons who do not read the scriptures you claim to believe.

• A lil’ protest against a big protest « Dating Jesus @ at 7:33 am, November 29th, 2009

[...] young man to the left thought the sign held by the woman was just wrong, so he protested on his own — and ended up with roughly 100 supporters standing with [...]

• Jettboy @ at 11:03 am, November 29th, 2009

One more proof that college campuses are NOT free expression zones, but radical liberal mind-washing complexes. I think Syracuse University did more damage to themselves than to the hundreds of millions of Christians who do believe homosexuality, among other things, is a sin. Lets not forget homosexual marriage has lost every time its been put on a ballot.

• Da guckt die Christin dumm aus der Wäsche « Steven Milverton @ at 12:03 pm, November 29th, 2009

[...] Hintergrund: Corduroy Skirts are a Sin [...]

• Steph @ at 12:50 pm, November 29th, 2009

@Jetboy: Except, for, you know, all the times it HASN’T.

As a lesbian who HAS the right to marry someone she might love – how dare you try to take that away?

• dustfinger314 @ at 2:50 pm, November 29th, 2009

• El Kabong @ at 3:43 pm, November 29th, 2009

What I take away from all of this is that rational people are the quiet majority while irrational hate mongers(IHM) get the sound bite because their making noise.

Therefore, we, the rational quiet majority(RQM), should make every effort to confront the IHM in a way similar to Mr. Pesto’s example.

Btw: Mr Pesto – Brilliant!

• Arkatect @ at 5:24 pm, November 29th, 2009

T-Rex: “The hateful student who attacked an individual’s attire has no more right to hold a sign on a public campus that the woman”

Yes, I agree. Everyone has a right to hold up whatever sign they please.

I could hold up a sign that says “F**K GOD” if I wanted to. Nobody is saying she doesn’t have the right to hold up that sign. The point is that if you were born with, say, blond hair, and I were to hold up a sign saying “Having blond hair is a SIN”, I’m guessing you and many others would retaliate in some way.

This is no different. That woman is free to think what she wants, and say what she wants, but you don’t hold up a sign insulting a great majority of people, judging them for their lifestyle that they were born with, without expecting SOME sort of retaliation.

So yes, she has the right to believe what she wants and tell the whole world. Nobody smashed down her sign. The problem is that what she believes is ridiculous and offensive, and everyone else has the right to be angry for being judged unfairly.

• Mike Johnson @ at 6:06 pm, November 29th, 2009

Steph, please.. tell us all the times that gay marriage has passed when put on a ballot. What cities/states?

• Jettboy @ at 7:11 pm, November 29th, 2009

“Except, for, you know, all the times it HASN’T.”

Examples please? And I don’t mean those states where it was decided by a judge or State representatives; but actual voters. As for “How dare,” all I can say is because I want to and therefore I dare.

• sam @ at 5:27 am, November 30th, 2009

Actually it’s impossible to offend someone without their permission. It’s you who takes offense to what I offer.

Change your attitude and what someone might consider an offense just turns into a clumsy remark or carless, rude action of another.

People who are easily offended (like myself from time to time), don’t like this of course, because it puts the responsibilty on us control ourselves rather than lashing back because we were “justifiably offended”.

• sam @ at 5:33 am, November 30th, 2009

Steph,

I could ask, “how dare you try to redefine, what I already have.” But it would be useless. Getting upset about the “dares” of others is just an excuse to substitute your feelings and reactions as a legitimate form to control or silence others.

In other words… “yes they dared…” so what?

I’m not angry by the fact that you carelessly disregard the title and meaning others assign to their relationships.

You don’t view it that way and insist you just want equal rights. I’m happy to support you to have a variety of equal benefits. Focus on the issue… what do you want/need from your relationship.

Just don’t take the title that all of society has already used for thousands of years and legally appropriate it to something it has never been used for.

Come up with a new name. You’ve got most of the creative artists and writer types on your side. Invite whatever word or terminolgy you like, just please don’t try to redefine or expand the definition to include something it never has before.

• While You Were Sleeping: One Giant Nipple | Scanner @ at 8:51 am, November 30th, 2009

[...] how to shut down the anti-gays: stand next to them saying their corduroy skirt is a sin, [...]

• Hänni @ at 2:13 pm, November 30th, 2009

Well done Chris Pesto, well done.

• Corduroy Skirts Are A Sin | LightBlogs @ at 2:30 pm, November 30th, 2009

[...] blog has the story: Link – via Miss [...]

• duh @ at 2:55 pm, November 30th, 2009

John wrote

“I fail to see how expressing your opinion is ’spreading hatred.’ I think the only hatred being spread here is directed straight at that young woman for expressing an opinion that you disagree with.”

This makes zero sense, and you do a 180 flip in logic between sentences.

You “fail to see how expressing an opinion spreads hatred”, then say that someone is spreading hatred by expressing their opinion.

The woman in question is saying that homosexuals are bad – in fact , one of the bible verses in question says that homosexuals should be put to death. The man is holding up a sign making fun of her skirt.

She is trying to get people to hate homosexuality, he is trying to get people to laugh at her.

• masshole @ at 2:58 pm, November 30th, 2009

re: where did the ballot pass for gay marriage:
    massachusetts, connecticut, iowa, vermont, new hampshire. soon to be maine. gay marriage performed elsewhere is recognized legally in New York, California, Rhode Island, and Washington DC. More will Follow!!!

• Nomad @ at 3:30 pm, November 30th, 2009

Seems unnecessary to ban the sign-holders from campus. I’d think it more beneficial for passers-by to see 2 anti-gay protesters next to 100 equal rights protesters than to see nothing at all.

The more often people witness vitriol drowned out by the sounds of laughter and camaraderie the better.

Let them come.

• pegr @ at 3:35 pm, November 30th, 2009

Religious believers are irrational by definition! Jesus Chri…

• tks @ at 3:57 pm, November 30th, 2009

” First, I would just like to say that I support people with their own opinions. I think that everyone is entitled to their right to think what they want. However, when someone comes on my campus, where I pay tuition to live, I don’t think it’s appropriate to rub such a hateful sign in someone’s face. ”

Oxymoron!!! I’m all for ppl’s opinions EXCEPT WHEN I THINK IT’S HATEFUL!

Nice faulty logic

• tks @ at 4:05 pm, November 30th, 2009

@Jenna

“I’m a Christian, but I don’t think homosexuality is a sin. People like that girl give us really bad names.”

Then you’re not a Christian…sorry. It’s pretty cut and dry in the Bible. I’m just pointing it out as I’m an athiest…but if I was a Christian, I’d at least have the decency to know what defined me and what I believed in before making statements like yours.

• Steff Metal » Blog Archive » Linking Horn for 30 November, 2009 @ at 4:25 pm, November 30th, 2009

[...] Corduroy Skirts are a Sin: I love this article about student Chris Pesto, and the positive, non-violent, non-angry action he took against a girl holding a “Homosexulatiy is a Sin” sign on his campus. [...]

• Adam @ at 5:40 pm, November 30th, 2009

Correcting you because you’re wrong.

That’s not what the guy is saying. He’s saying that his Freedom of Speech can’t be impeded by you simply because you disagree with him. It’s a simple and true concept. You DON’T have the right to not be offended.

I disagree with the man’s intolerance of gay people. But honestly, all he’s doing is wasting his life. He’s neither hurting nor changing anyone. Just like the gay guy has a right to mock her beliefs (via her skirt) in public.

• Choco @ at 5:51 pm, November 30th, 2009

To the people saying that this girl’s sign is OK, let me ask you this: If a KKK sympathizer stood on campus with a sign saying “Being black is a sin,” would you still say that she’s a brave soul for standing up for what she believes in?
    If yes, then end of discussion. You obviously have some screw loose in your head.
    If no, then you are guilty of holding a double standard against gay people, bottom line.

• god hates corduroy skirts « god hates protesters @ at 7:00 pm, November 30th, 2009

[...] fbomb: I decided that because this woman thought it was okay to make me feel uncomfortable in my home, I [...]

• S @ at 7:10 pm, November 30th, 2009

Yayyyyyyyy!!

• Jake @ at 7:16 pm, November 30th, 2009

…is Chris single? ;-D

• 'berto @ at 7:22 pm, November 30th, 2009

Heh… Just goes to show you that not only are we queers happier and more creative, we’re wittier and funnier, too! The best (and most effective) reaction to authoritarian control freaks and/or Mary Moralist busybody gawd-botherers is to get people to laugh at their preposterous nonsense — it removes their power. Good on you, Chris Pesto!

What some previous commenters seem to willfully ignore is that Pesto is not trying to limit the rights of the Deferios, unlike what they are trying to do to Pesto. If the Deferios — and those who think like them — want a theocracy, let them move to Iran.

• Scott @ at 7:37 pm, November 30th, 2009

making fun of other peoples clothes.. well that is mature. (NOT) and Just because people want to stand up for what they believe in does not make them ignorant dude. If you think it does, then you are both immature and ignorant and a hater as well as she is. Actually all she is doing is spreading the word of her religion like Jesus told everyone to in the bible. You are spreading hatred.

• Brye @ at 7:41 pm, November 30th, 2009

Gay “marriage” has not been voted “in”, ever, but that is only when it has been put to a popular vote. And, that is the real point; civil rights for a minority group should never be put to a popular vote. If this had been the case with black civil rights, I believe that Barack Obama would probably be working as a night janitor at Wal-Mart. The Constitution and the Bill of Rights are partly designed with this very idea in mind; that is protecting individuals from mob rule.

• Michelle @ at 7:57 pm, November 30th, 2009

Since it is no longer made of only cotton, Corduory IS a sin! (Leviticus 19:19)

Sam, Jettboy, etc… I am truely curious what your reasons are for following only some parts of the Bible, and not others. If you’re going to ignore the section of Leviticus that bans tattoos, pork, shellfish, round haircuts, beard trimming, polyester and football, how can you possibly turn around and quote Leviticus 18:22 (“You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.”) as irrefutable law?

Leviticus 19:27 reads “You shall not round off the side-growth of your heads nor harm the edges of your beard.”

Leviticus 11:8, which is discussing pigs, reads “You shall not eat of their flesh nor touch their carcasses; they are unclean to you.”

Leviticus 19:19 reads, “You are to keep My statutes. You shall not breed together two kinds of your cattle; you shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed, nor wear a garment upon you of two kinds of material mixed together.”

Mark 10:11-12, “And He said to them, ‘Whoever divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her; and if she herself divorces her husband and marries another man, she is committing adultery.’”

Deuteronomy 23:2 reads, “No one of illegitimate birth shall enter the assembly of the Lord; none of his descendants, even to the tenth generation, shall enter the assembly of the Lord.”

Leviticus 11:10 reads, “But whatever is in the seas and in the rivers that does not have fins and scales among all the teeming life of the water, and among all the living creatures that are in the water, they are detestable things to you.”

• Marc @ at 8:09 pm, November 30th, 2009

In reference to the claim that the University’s reaction is unconstitutional: Syracuse is a private University. They have the right to restrict any individual for whatever reason, or lack thereof, from stepping onto campus if they so choose. Ever read the holding from Boy Scouts of America v Dale? Yeah it works both ways.

Oh and homosexuality is only a sin if you subscribe to dogma. I think it is rather hateful to condemn someone for who they are, regardless of what you believe. Chris, well done!

• Marc @ at 8:14 pm, November 30th, 2009

@dustfinger
    “It was attacking the *practice* of homosexuality.”

That’s as moronic as saying the “practice of living.” What do you mean by that? To say that homosexuality is a sin IS to say that homosexuals are sinners. It is attacking homosexuality as much as it is attacking homosexuals. Don’t play these semantic games to bury your bigotry.

• D'Glenn @ at 8:16 pm, November 30th, 2009

dustfinger314 pointed out, “The sign was not at all hateful. It was not attacking any person. It was attacking the *practice* of wearing corduroy skirts, not the people themselves.” Oh wait, that wasn’t what dustfinger314 said? Sounded equivalent to me.

The response may or may not be considered ‘hateful’, but it is _at_worst_ no more hateful than the original sign (and I would argue less so). The response was precisely commensurate with the provocation.

Each party thought they were doing, and communicating, what is morally correct; that you personally agree with one and not the other is not a good test of whether test of whether the other is behaving hatefully.

• Stella Luna @ at 8:22 pm, November 30th, 2009

@ T-Rex et al,

Her tacky garments are cotton-poly blends. According to Leviticus 19:19, the chapter of the bible she uses to condemn gays (Leviticus 18:22), her garments are a sin. God also hates women who preach (Timothy 2:11–12)

Unlike Chris Pesto, who’s obviously read the bible, you and the Deferio aren’t very good Christians if you didn’t know that.

• Kaitlin Duck Sherwood @ at 8:26 pm, November 30th, 2009

If the corduroy was cotton-poly instead of being e.g. pure cotton or pure polyester, then it *is* a sin. See Leviticus 19:19. http://bible.cc/leviticus/19-19.htm

• colm @ at 8:34 pm, November 30th, 2009

T rex-I think you forgot the part in the Bible that says “Judge not lest ye be judged…” Jettboy-you might want to check out Iowa’s vote by the people…if there were true freedom, both the young woman nad the young man would have been free to express their views and be prepared for disagreement, which is what happened.

• SGGG @ at 8:47 pm, November 30th, 2009

Im glad Syracuse University kicked that brainless bigot off-campus. Murder is a sin also. So is stealing. Why bring a sign on to campus that says Homosexuality is a sin? In the holy ten commandments given to us by Moses from God, there is nothing about Homosexuality. The only reason that vacuous evangelical die-for-jesus piece of crap did that was out of hate for gays. Sure, it is your right to hold a sign up saying whatever you want here in the USA, but i guarantee you if I held a sign up saying “Jesus will not save you, Jesus did not die for your sins, and Jesus was just an ordinary mortal who is now dead and rotting in the ground, just like you, your children, and your children’s children will in the future.”

Here’s a list of places who do perform and recognize GAY Marriage:

Canada
    Sweden
    Norway
    The Netherlands (Amsterdam)
    Belgium
    Spain
    South Africa

In the USA:

Massachusetts
    Connecticut
    Iowa
    New Hampshire

More to come people, I’d say the gays are winning this battle thanks to all the support from places like Syracuse University, and other organizations that support equal rights.

• Jay @ at 9:04 pm, November 30th, 2009

I think it is funny that when someone says they think homosexuality is a sin that is referred to as spreading hatred. What an ignorant thing to say. The hatred that is spread is by people that say anti-gay protestors are spreading hate. They get angry and negative and, as stated in the above story, curse those who don’t believe in the same way. I think everyone needs to take a deep breath and chill the f**k out. Homosexuals and their supporters; get thicker skin and stop crying so damn much. Come to Jesus activists; pick your place and time better and don’t use signs, actually spend time talking to them. Peace.

• Patty @ at 9:33 pm, November 30th, 2009

Um, all these Christians who protest against ONE SIN in a Bible FULL of sins are not only the ones driving a wedge in this country (why don’t YOU not be a homosexual and let others decide what’s best for them?) but are total HYPOCRITES. Does the fashion victim also protest at Red Lobster? They’re serving shellfish which is an equal abomination in Leviticus. If she doesn’t, OR YOU DON’T, Chrisitians posting here, then YOU are the ones with a serious problem. Try being an American and allowing others to practice freedom of religion anyway they choose.

• Alex Catgirl @ at 10:12 pm, November 30th, 2009

=(O.O)=
    The Fbomb is under assault by mindless, homophobic followers of ZombieJaysus!

Yo Dumbarses, this is a feminist blog, girls with brains post here, and we don’t care what your imaginary friends have to say about …well anything , being Goddesses and all.

• venomlash @ at 10:41 pm, November 30th, 2009

Guy with a brain here, believes in gender equality, and, of course, is JEWISH. Right, then:

Alla you bible-thumping Jesus freaks: shut the FUCK up. When you hold up a sign telling everyone that homosexuality is a sin, you are attacking homosexuals. NOWHERE in the Old Testament (or the new testament, for that matter) does it say that homosexuality is a sin. It says that guy-on-guy action is a sin, sure, but it also says that even collecting wood on the Sabbath is punishable by stoning to death. You can’t cherry-pick, guys. Either you follow the whole book strictly, or none of it at all.

So, guys, I see that you have been making a big point about gay marriage’s poor record on public referenda. Let me explain: if in 1860, the individual states of the South had put slavery to a public referendum, would it have been abolished? Hell no! What about if it had been civil rights voted on in 1950? Doubtful. See, there are times when the majority will seek to oppress a minority they feel is different from them. Are slavery and segregation a bad thing? Absolutely, but it still took government (rather than popular) intervention to end them. So, queer-haters, suck it.

@Lacy: “In the last days, right will be wrong, love for hate, and darkness for light.” So…when God “comes back”, everything will be reversed. So I guess that means your ass will be stuck in your head. Hm. Sounds painful. The little inversion spiel, on the other hand, reeks of 1984. FREEDOM IS SLAVERY!

@T-rex: “Unconstitutional”? How? The University is a private institution. It doesn’t have to respect people’s rights to express themselves; all people on University property are guests of the U, and the administrators had every right to kick them off the campus. But wait…you are the “Christians who don’t judge”? YOU’RE JUDGING PEOPLE FOR THEIR SEXUAL ORIENTATION! And if homosexuality is sooooo sinful, why’d God make so many queers? Hot DAMN! You’re so dumb, I’m starting to see why tyrannosaurids are now extinct. (OOPS! YOU GUYS DON’T BELIEVE IN EVOLUTION!!!)

@Jettboy: Scuse? You think that universities tell people what to believe? Funny, I thought when you have an internal, heartfelt belief that does not require supporting evidence, it’s called FAITH. I think it’s in churches that they tell you what to believe, eh? And it’s not like good Christians do into college and come out as immoral atheists; Mr. Pesto, I imagine, has felt for some time that tolerance is a GOOD thing. No college (except the religious ones) are going to tell people what and how to think. Pssh. You, lacy (as in “Lacie Underall”?), and T-rex are just about proof against intelligent design; no loving God could have allowed humanity to give rise to such prize idiots as you.

Am Yisrael Chai, homophobic Jesus freaks!
    venomlash

• Andrew @ at 10:46 pm, November 30th, 2009

As a Syracuse Alumnus, I’m very pleased to see Chris Pesto’s classy counter display to that woman’s bigoted protest.

• Dustfinger314 @ at 11:51 pm, November 30th, 2009

Alex: it is hard to be without a brain, as the Lord was so kind as to gift you with one. You seem to not use that gift very well, however. And I suppose that what I am doing now is a little dishonorable. One shouldn’t attack unarmed people, even if it is only a battle of wits.

• Jack @ at 12:25 am, December 1st, 2009

Sorry, but I don’t think your little book should dictate who I choose to fall in love with and spend my life with. You can’t help what you’re attracted to. It’s just part of who you are. It saddens me that a group of people who preach tolerance are so intolerant of other people for things they cannot and should not have to change.

• nicoletta @ at 12:55 am, December 1st, 2009

The definition of the word “marriage” has been redefined several times. Originally, it was a contract between a man and a father, where he basically “sold” his daughter for whatever dowry he could get. It was also used to excuse a rapist, saying he could not be punished if he married his victim. There is nothing in the bible defining marriage as “between one man and one woman” and even if you could find a passage that says that SPECIFICALLY, there is no guarantee that it is the correct translation from the original Hebrew script. Therefore, marriage is what we as a society define it. Who is to say we can’t redefine it again to include two adults who love each other? Isn’t acceptance and tolerance one of the teachings of Jesus?

• kbman @ at 12:55 am, December 1st, 2009

Wow, such enlightened “Christians” here. Hundreds of millions of bigots if the above commenter is to be believed … sounds kinda high.

Jet, Dusty, lacey and T-R, y’all might try remembering that Jaysus was all about loving acceptance, not being an authoritarian ass. Your paternalistic, authoritarian, hierarchical religious bullsh!t has about run its course in the history of the world. Having f*cked up mankind for millenia, it’s about time. God doesn’t care who diddles who as long as nobody’s free will is violated. Y’all want to violate people’s free will all the time – it’s practically what religions LIVE FOR, to intimidate people into not enjoying their lives and the physical pleasures available to them. F*CK THAT! And if you try to get between people and their Sacred Pleasure then F*CK YOU!

BTW – Jaysus is as make believe as your conception of God. The whole nativity story is actually about the precession of the constellations and the location of the rising sun on the winter solstice. The three kings are the stars in Orion’s belt which point to the spot on the horizon from which the sun will appear at daybreak. The Christian fish? Pisces, the constellation marking the currently passing age. The new “Christ” story would have Aquarius in the place of Pisces.

But go on believing your magical bs mythology designed to control people and keep old white men in power. Just try to keep your crazeeee from affecting the rest of us.

Gays? Leave these people alone. They’re not harming you by virtue of their existence. Grow the f*ck up!

• nicoletta @ at 1:05 am, December 1st, 2009

Besides, isn’t that blather the same crap the bigots tried to spew when they rallied against interracial marriage? Interracial marriage was declared constitutional, and (not soon enough) same gender marriage will, too. You have the right to feel however you wish, but Christ taught tolerance, and how can someone call him or herself a Christian while showing intolerance by denying someone his or her right to happiness (among other things)? Honestly, can someone please explain how two women getting married to each other really affects you and your marriage? I’m married, and it doesn’t affect me whatsoever. It isn’t like the homos are keeping straights from marrying. They aren’t clammoring to book up the churches. Where is the harm?

• Voice of Reason @ at 1:10 am, December 1st, 2009

I’m not taking sides here, but I notice some faulty reasoning. The girl offends gays. Gays then offend the girl. Both are haters. Both have their opionions, and share their opinions. Yet only one person is being accused of being ignorant and hateful. Constant ridicule online of someone else makes you no better than the guilty party. If we want love and equality, showing disrespect to others with different opinions is not the best way to promote it.

• Maria @ at 1:13 am, December 1st, 2009

That woman’s sign also contains a comma splice. Comma splices are a sin.

• Para Dox @ at 1:15 am, December 1st, 2009

In fact, in America you don’t have a right to not be offended.

That is such BS. Whoever thinks this is a clueless moron who should be exiled. Because I long ago chose to never be offended — it was my right — and now people are saying I did something illegal? Wrong! I tell you ever since I chose not to be offended, I have lived a blessed, stress-free life. I think it’s called bliss. And it rules! You should try it. The mints are awesome.

• The Dude @ at 1:16 am, December 1st, 2009

actually Deuteronomy 22.11 actually has the following: “‘Thou dost not put on a mixed cloth, wool and linen together”

wool with linen is a sin. and so is white after labor day.

religion: totally useless.

• Jesse Weinstein @ at 1:52 am, December 1st, 2009

sam — You said, “the title [marriage] that all of society has already used for thousands of years and legally appropriate it to something [formalizing homosexual relationships] it has never been used for.” (brackets added for clarity).

This is false. Homosexual relationships have been formalized using the term “marriage” (in the local language) in many places, for thousands of years.

The wikipedia article below is a good summary of the history, and contains many citations to more reliable sources if you wish to research further. http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=History_of_same-sex_unions&oldid=327889607

Jetboy — regarding counter-examples of the claim that “homosexual marriage has lost every time its been put on a ballot.” The clearest counter-example I found was Arizona’s Proposition 107 in 2006, where a proposed constitutional amendment to ban homosexual marriage failed in the popular vote. This is not a exact match to your claim, but it is a popular vote which came out on the side of gay marriage supporters, which confronts the central point of your claim.

Thanks for the opportunity to present these sources, and I hope they are of use to you and other lurkers everywhere.

• Maria D @ at 2:02 am, December 1st, 2009

Ya know, most of this ‘gay is a sin’ crap comes from leviticus. You know, the guy who said women should been seen and not heard and ‘thou shall not suffer a witch to live.’

He also said haircuts are a sin, but we just ignore that one, don’t we?

• Dan E @ at 2:10 am, December 1st, 2009

To all those saying Syracuse is doing something unconstitutional: it’s a private university. They have the right to deny whomever they please access to their grounds, just as you don’t have the right to come into my house (and I don’t have the right to join certain private clubs, such as the boy scouts, because I’m gay).

To those who continue nonsense about “hate the sin, love the sinner.” If you call my love “sin,” then you demean me far more than mere hate could. To call my love “sin” is a vile attack on me and my humanity. For that matter, it’s decidedly unChristian, since the Bible is quite clear that all love comes from God.

The good news is that you homophobes are dinosaurs (like the aptly named T-Rex), and in another couple generations you’ll be holding your tiny rallies with the few remaining members of the KKK.

• Jesse Weinstein @ at 2:15 am, December 1st, 2009

Julie Z — I have not been able to find confirmation that “Administration officials … stated that the Deferios were no longer welcome on Syracuse’s campus.” The Daily Orange article says only: “Jim [Deferio, the other anti-gay protester] said SU has warned him that if he steps on campus he will be arrested” (brackets added for clarity), and I was not able to find any statement on syr.edu regarding the matter, which presumably would be where any official statement could be found. It would be great if someone could phone them ( http://publicsafety.syr.edu/contact_us/ ) and check on this. I may do it tomorrow if I remember.

This is important, because it is the linchpin of any claim of abridgment of free speech on anyone’s part. If the facts are other than they are being presented, the implications might be quite different.

• Beneath a Steel Sky » Plakatpolitik när den är som bäst @ at 2:37 am, December 1st, 2009

[...] Killen heter Chris Pesto heter killen som bekämpar hat med geni. Läs mer här. [...]

• Joe @ at 2:47 am, December 1st, 2009

What’s so hateful about her sign? Seems like a message of hope and love to me. I bet if the sign read “Adultery is a sin, Christ can set you free!” that morally bankrupt homosexual wouldn’t have had a problem with it.

• Penetranus @ at 3:14 am, December 1st, 2009

Oh how I love posts that run amok of valiant Christans attempting to right the errant path of the heathen sinners.
    Perhaps as you slice your next foreskin from the unsuspecting genitals of an infant boy-child you will pause to wonder, maybe while wiping the still warm blood from your holy fingers, if maybe this whole thing isn’t just a little screwy.
    Also, what is God’s preoccupation with those little rings of cockflesh?

• Lo que sí que es pecado es llevar falda de pana (ENG) @ at 5:47 am, December 1st, 2009

[...] Lo que sí que es pecado es llevar falda de pana (ENG)  [...]

• Joe @ at 7:57 am, December 1st, 2009

I know it may seem hard to understand, but if you believe that homosexuality is a sin, and that the only way to avoid burning in hell is to repent, they holding out a sign stating such is more of an act of love than hate.

No-one likes seeing goofy Christians making everyone feel odd, but that you could scrounge up so much intolerance for her supposed intolerance is more an indicator of the ignorance and immaturity of yourself and the general public. Congratulations, you are the lowest common denominator.

• Jorge @ at 7:58 am, December 1st, 2009

Awesome action!!!… All my support from Spain. Stop homophobia!!!

• Anna @ at 8:12 am, December 1st, 2009

@dustfinger314

You said, “The man in the photo, and the blogger seem to not know the difference between condemning a sin and hating a sinner.”

You’re acting like there IS a difference. And there’s not. If you tell people their orientations, their sexualities, and their *selves* are a sin, you ARE hating them and you ARE spreading hate.

I don’t really care how you justify it to yourself and I’m sure you’ll reply with plenty of blahedy blah blah about how it’s not the same and blahedy blah blah.

If you think homosexuality is a sin, don’t have sexual contact with someone of your same gender and leave it at that. It’s one thing to practice what you believe. It’s another to think you have some mandate or RIGHT to force others to do the same.

I find it funny that this woman dedicates so much time to protesting homosexuality as this big huge sin when there are so many more important things that need time and attention in the world. Starving children, war, genocide, rape, poverty. She could walk around protesting that we don’t give enough to the homeless or that the US’s economic policies help impoverish millions around the globe.

But nope, she protests homosexuality. Because apparently if we just stop the gays from feeling like they’re equal citizens, all the rest will fall in line and be all right.

You know what? If you really believe that sign she’s holding, that’s your issue. But don’t expect me not to protest it.

Love thy neighbor, but stay out of their damn business.

• Hazel @ at 8:30 am, December 1st, 2009

@TRex: The last time I checked my Bible, the passage that condemns homosexuality was in the same book that forbids us to eat pork. The last time I checked my freezer, I had pork in it.

Also, the last time I checked the Bible, there was a passage in the new testament telling us not to make unclean what has been made clean.

You are, of course, free to interpret the Bible however you want. But as a
    straight, educated Christian woman who does not condemn homosexuality I ‘ll thank YOU for not calling me a moron.

• jerry pritikin @ at 8:54 am, December 1st, 2009

Back in 1977, When the former Orange Juice pitch-woman Anita Bryant started her campaign to overturn a gay rights initiative in Dade County Florida that received national attention… I decided to do something to fight back. I created the “Anita Bryant’s Husband is a Homo-Sapien!”T-shirt and it was picked up by United Press International wire photo service. My photo wearing the t-shirt was flashed across the country, and I outed myself at a time it was not yet fashionable to be openly gay, even in San Francisco! I was wearing one downtown in S.F. and a little old lady noticed my T-shirt and said “IF THAT”S TRUE, WHY DID SHE MARRY HIM?” A few weeks later, I was able to get Jane Fonda to wear one at a S.F.gay fund raiser and that time it was picked up by Associated Press. I always felt using humor was the best way to get attention and I am glad to see it still works!

• Corduroy Skirts are a Sin (HUMOR) - bocanadas @ at 9:18 am, December 1st, 2009

[...] I’m proud that Syracuse has such a homosexual friendly community. Esto es lo que Chris Pesto contó en su Facebook hace poco. Yo lo he extraído desde thefbomb.org. [...]

• Lilah @ at 9:34 am, December 1st, 2009

Divorce is a sin.
    Eating shellfish is a sin.
    Eating meat and cheese in the same dish is a sin.
    Male masturbation is a sin.
    Touching a women durring her menstration is a sin.

All per the O.T.

So how many sign-carrying evangelicals you think do any of the above?

I don’t have anything against most Christians, but I would like them to be consistent in how they apply their holy book.

• ThinkingMan @ at 10:26 am, December 1st, 2009

With the exception of Iowa (who knew?) most rights enjoyed by minorities, including the right to marry white people, were first established by courts and then eventually, with a lot of protesting, by legislatures.

Fortunately the use of referendums to overturn court decisions and legislation was not available back then or we would still be arguing about scary black men having their way with our white women. Or the right of women to enter into contracts. Or the right of non-property holders to vote.

I can’t think of any right that wasn’t created by courts or legislatures. Referendums are the closest we come to mob rule and they almost never result in good policy. There is a reason the world’s peoples make use of representative democracies or republics rather than true democracies.

Syracuse must be a private university if they can refuse entry to outsiders and they are right to do so just as most religious universities refuse the entry of people publicly advocating positions contrary to their beliefs. Try holdings up a sign that says gays should have equal rights on a Southern Baptist University and see how long you get to stay.

• On a lighter note @ at 10:46 am, December 1st, 2009

[...] From FBomb. [...]

• Liz7195 @ at 11:02 am, December 1st, 2009

Leviticus 19:19 basically says that corduroy skirts are a sin, so I fail to see how his actions are any different than hers (except he doesn’t beg that she come back to Jesus and wear only linen like a good girl. But then from the looks of it, he shaves and cuts his hair, also forbidden, so that’s two strikes. But then again, she probably doesn’t bring the turtles/pigeons to the priest to be killed as an offering once a month as she finishes her menses, so that’s another strike.)

And Stef, how dare you attempt to appropriate a tradition of ceremonially passing a woman from her father to becoming her husband’s property? The poor tradition has already suffered so much: divorce is allowed, annulments can be for reasons other than the woman being barren and therefore worthless, it is no longer legal to stone your wife to death for cheating on you, and in America, it is not required for women to marry their rapists to maintain their honor. Our country is under attack as this ancient tradition barely resembles the system our ancestors established and moves further from it every day. Rights and happiness be damned, marriage is SACRED!

• Joseph Kelly @ at 11:05 am, December 1st, 2009

@Jettboy: “Examples please?”

The entire country of Canada. You realize there’s a world outside the USA, right? Also see: Belgium, Spain, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, and South Africa. That’s right. South Africa understands human rights far better than the USA. Why do so many americans fear invisible, hateful, all-knowing beings in the sky so much that they want to persecute gay people? Are there no witches to burn anymore? There must be people still practicing voodoo that you can lynch. No? Ok, I guess it will have to be gays, as Jesus demanded in the Bible. Didn’t he??

• PlaneCrazy @ at 11:06 am, December 1st, 2009

Of course, if her corduroy skirt was a mixed blend fabric, as many are, then it was a sin according to the same source as she was using.

Perhaps she’ll take the plank from her own eye and stop wearing blended fabrics, and start stoning her children when they get sassy, before she points out the mote in the eye of others.

Sinners everywhere.

• gex @ at 11:22 am, December 1st, 2009

Bruce H. quit getting your panties in a wad. Universities have every right to and have probably taken advantage of the fact that anyone who has no business to be on campus can be asked to leave. I’m sure if we take this to different level you would understand. Consider if they were on the campus of an elementary school, which is also public.

• stupidityisthegreatestsin @ at 11:22 am, December 1st, 2009

Chris Pesto got it right: the best answer to idiocy is intelligence, the best answer to hate is love, and the best answer to the laughable is laughter. He turned this sad woman’s attempt to spread hate into an event that’s captivated and entertained people around the world. That dour, delusional weirdo is probably too lost to ignorance to understand that, but hopefully — hopefully — she at least paid attention to and could comprehend the free fashion advice. I mean really, if you’re going to make a spectacle of yourself, is it asking too much to be a minimally attractive one?

• Jeff D @ at 12:03 pm, December 1st, 2009

Some points to consider …

1 – A college campus is not a public space it is private property even if it is a ‘public’ university and they have every legal right to restrict activities on their grounds.
    2 – The Constitution only prevents the governmment from restricting free speech, private entities can have whatever policies they choose on such matters.

3 – The meanings of words like ‘marriage’ are by collective agreement, you don’t own it, I don’t own it and history does not own it. Your religious organization can condone or not condone gay marriage, but when the legally secular state is involved, your religious ideas are irrelevant as a matter of law.

4 – Gay marriage proposals have been defeated on the ballet by massive infusions of out of area money and organizations with a political agenda.

• Marshey @ at 12:44 pm, December 1st, 2009

The best story ever!!! I admire your smarts and guts and am so happy for the support you got. And happy the administration banned those hatemongers. Keep on with the great ideas and work!

• Dave @ at 12:50 pm, December 1st, 2009

Maria – you’re right. Most Christianists tend to cherry-pick which Levitican or Moasiac laws they wish to abide. That’s neither here nor there, though. What I wonder, is why the woman thought her sign would be persuasive in the first place. If I were gay, I would shrug, and think to myself, “well that’s her opinion.” It seems to me that she’s not really in it to persuade, though. I’ve yet to meet someone who saw a crappily “crafted” sign and think to themselves, “Gosh, maybe she’s right, maybe my sexual orientation is sinful, so, thanks mystery woman, I’ll just, ya know, be straight.” If her motive isn’t to persuade (which is a reasonable assumption), why’s she there? To gloat? To provoke?

• Jose Von Hussein @ at 1:10 pm, December 1st, 2009

dustfinger314 said:

“It was attacking the *practice* of homosexuality, not the people themselves. ”

BUZZ! Wrong. Check the dictionary. “Homosexuality” is a noun. In every reference, the first definition given has to do with the “attraction to the same sex” – NOT the act. And the Bible never condemns gay persons, anywhere. So the sign is, in fact, hateful towards an entire group of people that happen to be gay. That’s different than saying, “If you engage in homosexual acts, that’s sinful,” which is the spin you’re trying to put on it.

“Which is a sin.”

And this is debatable, at best. The practice is condemned in Leviticus, but the apostle Paul himself said in Galatians anyone still observing the Law is under a curse. See Galatians 3: 10-13. Is the girl suggesting that homosexuals should follow Leviticus, and therefore be cursed? And if we’d like to look at what the NT says, then the most accurate interpretation is that Paul was discussing pederasty, not homosexuality, too.

Judging who one is (being gay) and judging one’s clothing choices for the day are two entirely different things. Not only that, the Bible very specifically states that Christians are NOT to judge those outside the Church – see 1 Corinthians 5:12. Perhaps you – and the protester girl – would be well advised to understand that.

• venomlash @ at 1:51 pm, December 1st, 2009

Maria D, you’re right on the money, but I don’t think that Leviticus was named after a guy. It’s just a bunch of rules and regulations that Moses is said to have received from God.

@Dustfinger314: Wow! You sure are original, taking the name of a badass character from “Inkheart” and adding three digits! And considering that it’s the religious lobby who want to discourage rational debate about homosexual rights, abortion, and evolution, it’s funny that you seem to have claimed the intellectual high ground. You might want to try thinking a little, come up with some actual opinions of your own. But since you have obviously neglected to use your brain, you might need to work up to it. Start off simple and easy; try conversing with flowers and consulting with the rain before moving on to more challenging things. You are really just an arrogant, bigoted little shithead.

Seriously, homophobes, don’t nobody want to hear the shit you’re talking.
    venomlash

• Peggy @ at 1:56 pm, December 1st, 2009

I don’t know who Dustfinger314 is, but your is wonderful, especially “One shouldn’t attack unarmed people, even if it is only a battle of wits.” is worthy of Oscar Wilde. Thank you from one whose PC category is “Senior Citizen”

• Alex D @ at 2:36 pm, December 1st, 2009

@Dustfinger
    Why are you reading FBomb in the first place if not to judge others? You’re a hypocrite and a moron. At no point did Catgirl say brainless; she said mindless. That means you don’t think for yourself and you let a BOOK decide for you – and for the REALLY tough questions, ask your pastor. God forbid you actually make your own decisions…no…really…he forbids it.

• Ariel @ at 2:44 pm, December 1st, 2009

@Jetboy: I’m not gay, so I’m not very familiar with the details of what states have/have not passed laws allowing gay marriage, but I am utterly unable to understand why any state would not. The idea that homosexuality is a sin is a RELIGIOUS idea, and we have this crazy thing in the U.S. called “separation of Church and State” which is supposed to protect minorities (or, as the case may be, majorities!) from having the religious views of others imposed upon them. If it’s amongst consenting adults and nobody is getting physicially injured, why on EARTH do you think you have the right to impose upon me your moral views about who I can and cannot marry? And don’t tell me it’s because the Bible says it’s wrong – that’s Religion, and should have nothing to do with the rule of law in this country. Freedom from the tyranny of religion is what this country was founded on.

• Teeny Gozer @ at 2:51 pm, December 1st, 2009

Maria D said, “Ya know, most of this ‘gay is a sin’ crap comes from leviticus.”

Also in Leviticus we have shrimp-eaters up for being stoned to death, because apparently eating non-fish sea creatures is some sort of mortal sin. I have yet to see any of these idiots protesting outside a Red Lobster.

This Leviticus fellow seems like a guy with a *lot* of issues.

• Eli @ at 2:54 pm, December 1st, 2009

If the young woman was just expressing her views, why did her view have the word ‘you’ in it? Is not calling someone a sinner a judgment and hateful?

I think we all know the answer.

• Eli @ at 2:55 pm, December 1st, 2009

@Maria D -> the witch bit is a mistranslation. It’s really poisoner, not witch – and that’s just good advice.

• Susan Gaissert @ at 3:02 pm, December 1st, 2009

I like what Chris did; it was smart, simple, and cut right to the bone. I’m glad it was a good experience for him, too.

• buster @ at 4:16 pm, December 1st, 2009

LOVE this guy!

• RalfQ @ at 4:26 pm, December 1st, 2009

Deuteronomy, Chapter 22, Verse 11 “Don’t wear clothing woven from two kinds of thread.”

If her corduroy skirt was a poly-cotton blend, then his sign is entirely accurate (as well as a fabulous moment of good quality street theater/jujitsu activism).

• Clay Aiken @ at 5:13 pm, December 1st, 2009

Freedom of speech FTW

Also atheism

• Phroth » Blog Archive » 10 Things Phroth Found Phunny in November @ at 5:51 pm, December 1st, 2009

[...] 7. Article: “Gay-bashing Woman Humiliated for Wearing Hideous Skirt” [source: thefbomb.org] [...]

• Havlová @ at 5:55 pm, December 1st, 2009

Awesome counter-protest! I love it.

What are all the hater trolls doing on this blog? Trotting out all the worn-out homophobic tropes is supposed to convince me that a vengeful invisible being cares who I have sex with?

Have fun eating your pie in the sky!

• action potential · man’s descent into corduroy @ at 6:13 pm, December 1st, 2009

[...] i think this photo it hilarious enough to stand on its own but it’s worth having a little backstory. [...]

• dinosaur @ at 6:31 pm, December 1st, 2009

Sam: I would like you to elaborate on how the fact that I have a wife while being a girl myself weights anything on your relationship with your wife. Really: why should the relationship between two people who you don’t know nor ever will change anything in your own relationship? Is your holy bond to your wife so frail that it can be threatened by someone else’s relationship with somebody else?

Redefining marriage? Marriage has been redefined all over history. I don’t know whether you are aware but marriage predates Christianity, so you can’t claim to have “invented” it. Up until less than a century ago, husbands had rights over their wives that have been abolished by law so far, and there were a time where women were considered property of their husbands. Law has redefined marriage to be an institution where such vile practices are no longer tolerated. And let’s not forget interracial marriage.

You have every right to believe marriage is between a man and a woman, but that belief only entitles you, yourself, to make the choice of marrying a person of the opposite sex as yourself, and not to impose this view on other people. My belief that people should only marry people who are shorter than themselves should not have any influence on your life in any way, either. And just because your opinion is sanctioned by a book written thousands of years ago and mine isn’t doesn’t make it any more valid than my own. Legally-wise, your book means squat. Deal.

What you seem to forget is that marriage is a civil contract, not a religious institution. In countries and states that have same sex marriage churches are still given the right to only perform ceremonies for the couples they understand that should be married – everyone’s happy that way. To try and insert religious concepts, such as sin, and scripture into the law is a violation of the principle of the separation between church and State and that is the true unconstitutionality, not the holding of a sign – neither the anti-gay one nor the corduroy one.

My hat is off to Mr. Pesto: fighting intolerance with humour is one of the best ways to make oneself heard. I cannot see how much damage that ironic sign could have caused the girl who is carrying a much more inflamatory one. Freedom of speech goes both ways and you cannot, with a straight face, claim that the poster the student is carrying is more offensive to the girl than the one she’s carrying. Yes, poor girl, she got mocked on wearing a skirt she’ll eventually take off at the end of the day. Nevermind that she was expressing her conviction that a set of people, born with determined characteristics, are going to, deservingly, burn for all eternity in punishment – she is the victim here by the evil, evil gay man. How dare he mock her outfit when she was just there to accuse him of being on par with murderers and pedophiles, out of the goodness of her heart. Please.

• hippylibbychick @ at 6:35 pm, December 1st, 2009

@T-Rex. SU is a private institution, not a public school. Therefore, it’s really not a “public campus.” If the school decides that they don’t want these people, or anyone not a student, on their property stirring up controversy, then that’s their right. (I’m sure they have ways of dealing with students who they feel cross a line, too.)

“To the “Christians” who don’t judge, you’re morons who do not read the scriptures you claim to believe.”
    You mean like, let he who is without sin cast the first stone? “Judge not lest ye be judged” basically means don’t go talking about other people’s sins (perceived or otherwise) because you’ve got a few of your own. This I why I don’t buy the BS from some of these born-again types who claim they don’t sin because they believe in Jesus– hypocrites going against their own holy book. And I’m not Christian, btw.

• dp @ at 7:27 pm, December 1st, 2009

I don’t know what corduroy is made from, but if there are 2 or more different types of fiber in it, the book of Leviticus (the one that proclaims homosexuality to be an abomination) also says that corduroy is an abomination, along with eating shellfish and a lot of other stupid stuff that Christians choose to ignore.

• Dan @ at 7:53 pm, December 1st, 2009

Um yeah props to the women who is expressing her beliefs, however uh it’s not her beliefs.She is quoting the Bible, blind, blind,blind. I can’t wait till the day when we are no longer oppressed by religion, and we humans begin to decide what is right for humanity. Questions everything, everyone, and take control.

• SM @ at 8:11 pm, December 1st, 2009

not to mention that according to the bible wearing clothing of mixed fibers is a sin, so in actuality her whole outfit was likely literally a religious and fashion sin.

• A story about homophobia I must share « Franco Cignelli @ at 10:44 pm, December 1st, 2009

[...] to go Chris. You can read more about this by visiting fbomb. Possibly related posts: (automatically generated)Satanic Styles: Syracuse Student Finds Answer to [...]

• A funny story about homophobia I must share « Franco Cignelli @ at 10:54 pm, December 1st, 2009

[...] Way to go Chris. You can read more about this by visiting fbomb. [...]

• Stella Luna @ at 11:51 pm, December 1st, 2009

@ Maria,

And the blasphemy of Red Lobster goes totally unchecked as well. ;)

• Brittny @ at 12:53 am, December 2nd, 2009

Agreed with Maria D. I have a sister who is bi, and many more friends who are a: g b l or t. Yes, I also do have friends that are homophobes, but we don’t talk about the issue really. Christianity is believing in Christ, No before you “fundamentalist” Christians come and hate on an opinion against yours, think on this. Women have rights now, the bible is not to be taken literally. And further more to all those “Christians” who say you don’t truly believe in god unless you believe in everything the bible says (which gets opinionated anyways) Satanists believe what the bible is saying they’re just on the other side, so, technically I could call them Christians as well. Up yours.

• Mary @ at 12:58 am, December 2nd, 2009

Yes, Leviticus! The same book that says that eating barbecue is a sin!

• God Hates Ugly (Skirts) - The Field Notes @ at 2:38 am, December 2nd, 2009

[...] [Fbomb via Bryanboy] [...]

• Me @ at 5:54 am, December 2nd, 2009

“Do not judge, or you too will be judged” (Matthew 7:1)

• Kevin lately @ at 6:30 am, December 2nd, 2009

If this Fashion Challenged young woman doesn’t like Homosexuality: she should not practice Homosexual acts. To John who said she was Standing up for her convictions & protesting the Act not the person? What if I said to you:
    “Stop being Attracted to Women sexuality is A Sin” Jesus wasn’t Married had 12 boyfriends & one hooker Girlfriend. ( Who Knew?) IM Living like Jesus.
    The Funny Young man pointing out her “Skirt was a SIN” showed Hate speech for what it is: Narrow Minded in Wide waled Corduroy.

• Eris @ at 9:31 am, December 2nd, 2009

No. no. This guy wasn’t trying to offend the christians, christians. He doesn’t hate them he just hates their fashion sin. He’s trying to save them in the final fashion days!

• Syracuse Gay, 1; Frumpy Zealot, 0 | Vancouver Fashion + Style Blog | demiCouture @ at 11:49 am, December 2nd, 2009

[...] credit: TheFBomb tweet this! [...]

• KC @ at 11:57 am, December 2nd, 2009

thanks maria d.! that was great..

• Jamey @ at 12:06 pm, December 2nd, 2009

Bruce H @ at 9:13 am: It’s a private campus. If University admin deem a demonstration to be detrimental to the safety and well-being of its students and employees, they not only have the RIGHT to curtail such activities, but as loco parentis of minors (a duty implied in campus housing laws), they have the RESPONSIBILITY.

Free speech is free. Private venues aren’t. Remember that.

• Derek @ at 12:18 pm, December 2nd, 2009

they should make teeshirts with that on it!

• E-Rock @ at 1:21 pm, December 2nd, 2009

I find it funny that most Christians quote most of their more accusatory beliefs from Jewish texts (the Old Testament) rather than quote the man they tout as their savior: Jesus Christ. Jesus never said anything hateful to or about anyone, including homosexuals. He merely stated, “Let he who hath not sinned, cast the first stone.” Apparently, we have a lot of men posting on this blog who haven’t sinned.
    Christians, though you may feel the need to continue Christ’s work, know this: you are not Christ.

• Otavio @ at 3:37 pm, December 2nd, 2009

(Sorry for poor english)
    I dunnot know what is worst, the homofobic acts or the ancient and infantile idea of “another better world” and a god. What a waiste of time…

• Sebastien @ at 3:50 pm, December 2nd, 2009

In response to John @ at 9:05 pm, November 26th, 2009, hatred against gay people is not an opinion, not more than racism is. Just because someone “has an opinion” does it make it a valid and acceptable one. What good does this lady actually brings to the world? More polarization, more division, more misunderstanding between people… she certainly does not know someone who is gay… unfortunately, we know this kind of religious ignoramuses only too well…

• Otto @ at 4:51 pm, December 2nd, 2009

I honestly don’t understand what the problem is.

I mean, everybody knows that Jesus prefers denim.

It’s in the bible, people!

• Hump Day News Deliveries: Corduroy is Sinful; Mrs. Keaton is Gay; Tiger Woods is Sorry | The Laughing Stork with Candy Kirby | Parenting, Family, Pop Culture & Gravity-Defying Baby Poop @ at 7:50 pm, December 2nd, 2009

[...] Your daily dose of hilarity brought to you by Syracuse University:  Gay college student protests protester’s fashion choices.  And rightfully so.  [TheFBomb] [...]

• Bearfoot @ at 11:55 pm, December 2nd, 2009

So Bruce.. can I come to your campus with a “Niggers go home” sign?

I’m not racist or anything like that… but I’m just using it to make a point.

• Sarah @ at 12:13 am, December 3rd, 2009

JOIN THE FACEBOOK GROUP!!! :-)

• Alli @ at 1:18 am, December 3rd, 2009

This is WONDERFUL…I agree, brilliant idea. Makes a great political statement…but also a freaking hilarious one.

• Texaskeptic @ at 11:46 am, December 3rd, 2009

And Seafood- Levitcus totally denies seafood to good X-tians (well, anything without scales- but come on, no shrimp or oyster po’ boys!)

Let’s not forget that other Bable story about the Good Man Lot in Sodom- you know, the one who offered up him daughters for gang rape to quell the homosexuals set on raping the (Male?) Angels in his house. Of course, that story didn’t turn out so well for anyone when these bastions of goodness date-raped their father later.

But I digress, the point I’m trying to make here is that the Bable is the ONLY source for moral instruction- now I’m off to kill my kids for being unruly.

• Xopher @ at 11:48 am, December 3rd, 2009

You should see the love Chris Pesto is getting over at Boing Boing. Couple of bozos there too, but they’re being squelched.

I have such a crush on Chris Pesto!

• beardpuncher.com - CORDUROY SKIRTS ARE THE DEVIL @ at 12:04 pm, December 3rd, 2009

[...] Awesome counter protest. Read the full story here http://thefbomb.org/2009/11/corduroy-skirts-are-a-sin/ [...]

• Brian @ at 1:00 pm, December 3rd, 2009

Hey everyone, to support the cause, we made up shirts with “Corduroy is a sin” on them!
    Check them out here! We are a student run group from Syracuse.

Thanks!

• A Business Model for the Westboro Baptist Church (aka godhatesfags.com) | Akkam's Razor @ at 2:15 pm, December 3rd, 2009

[...] personally recommend parody and satire,  preferably for as large an audience as possible, although this is a good start.AKPC_IDS += "8085,";SHARETHIS.addEntry({ title: "A Business Model for the Westboro [...]

• Caroline Miniscule @ at 2:19 pm, December 3rd, 2009

>>I’m a Christian also, and I don’t think it’s ok for anyone to judge anyone else on ANYTHING.

Of course people must judge others. Just be aware that if you do, you’ll be judged yourself. So don’t go around spouting off against gays if your’e a closet homosexual. Stay in the closet if you must, but leave gays alone. Otherwise it’s hypocrisy which is more evil than outright homophobia.

As for homosexuality being a sin… so what? Lots of things are sins. You get to say a few hail merry’s and you’re forgiven.

• Think Homosexuality is Bad? Have You Seen Corduroy Skirts? - LOL Zombie @ at 5:15 pm, December 3rd, 2009

[...] fbomb Tweet This!Digg this!Share this on del.icio.usShare this on RedditStumble upon something good? [...]

• Alain @ at 2:45 am, December 4th, 2009

I’m reposting this news article:

• Roy Firestein » Gay-bashing woman humiliated for wearing hideous skirt @ at 3:44 am, December 4th, 2009

[...] Corduroy Skirts are a Sin [...]

• Cj @ at 12:08 pm, December 4th, 2009

WOW, well done, a very funny way of making a brilliant point. Im in England where we are also having problems with peoples outdated views on homosexuals. We should all use this as an example of how to make our voice heard.

• anon @ at 12:39 pm, December 4th, 2009

@dustfinger314
    “The sign was not at all hateful. It was not attacking any person. It was attacking the *practice* of homosexuality, not the people themselves. Which is a sin. The man in the photo, and the blogger seem to not know the difference between condemning a sin and hating a sinner.”

The guy’s sign wasn’t attacking the woman who was wearing a corduroy skirt, it was attack the *practice* of wearing corduroy skirts. Which is a sin. You apparently don’t know the difference between condemning a sin and hating a sinner.

• Dropping the ‘F-Bomb’ « Communications and Society blog: By and for students in Marist COM 201 @ at 3:46 pm, December 4th, 2009

[...] on the woman’s outfit. The blog post goes on to tell more about the story (which you can find here) as well as people’s reactions. Following the post are a flood of comments from young men and [...]

• Kevin @ at 3:54 pm, December 4th, 2009

As a Christian I do not embrace casting the first stone and judging others. I am, however amazed by reading all the comments from people stating their beliefs and positions from how they feel. Since when does one live out their lives by how they feel. That is the problem with our society. Scary thing.

• K @ at 12:12 pm, December 5th, 2009

The only thing that would have made this better is if he’d been able to put Leviticus 19:19 on the sign. That’s the one about mixing the types of thread. Cordeuroy is made out of cotton and wool and is prohibited in Leviticus.

• Lolli @ at 7:14 pm, December 5th, 2009

K!!! I LOVE YOU!!! :D

The photo made my day. I lol’d.

• jael @ at 9:34 am, December 6th, 2009

The campus absolutely has a right to tell someone to leave. The administration has a responsibility to protect the residents and campus visitors, and I have never been to a campus where security didn’t have a right to remove people that they thought were a danger to campus residents, or visitors that could be endangered. No campus is completely open to the public, like ANY government building, or hospital. The administration understood that future visits by these individuals may escalate to violence, and took the necessary preventative measures. The students reacted very well in this case, kudos to them for fighting free speech with free speech!

• Amanda @ at 8:35 pm, December 6th, 2009

I’m a straight Christian, but I know gay ones. It’s not a contradiction. The same way me being a decent human being isn’t a contradiction.

The only thing I’m saddened by is the absolute stupidity of many of these posts. When did calling a whole group of people morons or stupid become okay? Isn’t that kind of the same as holding a hateful sign?

• Brian @ at 9:52 pm, December 6th, 2009

Check them out here! We are working with Chris to make the shirts from Syracuse!

20% of the profits will be donated to the Human Rights Campaign. Get a shirt and support equality!

Thanks!

• KS @ at 12:41 am, December 7th, 2009

I used to live in Syracuse for a while and I’m proud to say so! GO SYRACUSE!!!!! and corduroy skirts should be banned internationally

• Real Man @ at 4:29 am, December 7th, 2009

Any guy who is concerned about the woman’s fashion choice is gay, not a real man. He’s judging what she wears, she’s judging his ACTIONS.

• kanesu @ at 6:52 am, December 7th, 2009

I have no idea what kind “christian” this girl thinks she is, as one of the main points of Jesus’ entire life and ministry (along with TOLERANCE, LOVE, and ACCEPTANCE) was to de-emphasize the importance/legitimacy of the laws of old testament; haircuts, shellfish, resting on the sabbath, and HOMOSEXUALITY included. Jesus’ dismissal of such laws was, in fact, much of reason why he was crucified.
    All those “fundamentalists” are too caught up with hating others to realize that they have completely missed the message of Christianity. Believe whatever you want but stop trying to legitimize yourselves by incorrectly claiming religious motivation.

t-shirts — great idea!

• Margaret @ at 9:40 am, December 7th, 2009

May I point out that, in all the Laws, the term ‘abominable’ is referring to CULTURALLY abominable. ie – they were written in the time that Israel was trying to repopulate, and thus, masturbation and homosexuality were considered abominable because they were not furthering the nation.

• The Perverted Negress » Mo’s Twitter Natterings: 2009-12-08 @ at 3:09 am, December 8th, 2009

[...] http://thefbomb.org/2009/11/corduroy-skirts-are-a-sin/ Fight Homophobia with Fashion Sense. # [...]

• Dave @ at 1:12 am, December 9th, 2009

Great job Chris!!

• Adrian @ at 1:14 pm, December 9th, 2009

Corduroy skirts ARE a sin, he did tell me himself!
    He abhores corduroy skirts, and he abhores fathers who let their daughters wear those sinful things!
    Never ever will a human being wearing corduroy skirts ever enter heaven, so says the scriptures!

Equality for all…
    (except those wearing corduroy skirts!)

• Karen @ at 2:48 pm, December 9th, 2009

I have to say that frankly… I think they were both being ridiculous here. I really don’t think that what Chris Pesto did was heroic. I’d put it more in the category of funny as all hell but still immature.

Think back to kindergarten and then tell me this doesn’t smack of playground nonsense? The little girl makes fun of the little boy, then the little boy makes fun of the little girl. Then all the other kids laugh at the fighting and pick sides. It’s funny how that vicious cycle sticks with us even when we become old enough to know better.

What would have been better, in my opinion, would have been to just walk by and completely dismiss her. She has no power, only an opinion. What I see here, instead of a hero, was someone who let a zealot’s ridiculous beliefs get to him. She hurt his feelings. And what did he do in return? He tried to hurt hers right back.

When I was in college, a Born Again Christian came onto our campus and stood in front of the student center every day for a week. He stood on top of the planter and told us all how we were going to hell. If your were black, you were going to hell. If you were unbaptised, you were going to hell. If you were a fornicator, you were going to hell. Basically, if you were anything but a blond-haired, blue-eyed, God-fearing, male, Christian virgin, you WERE going to hell.

Well, you can imagine how this pissed some people off. Hell, it pissed me off. Who did this guy think he was? Quite a few were students became violent. Some of them threw garbage and dirt at the man. One boy even shoved him down. Many people screamed and cursed him out right in his face, but the man was so blind in his beliefs that he simply looked right through them.

Eventually, he complained inside at the information desk that students were attacking him. You want to know what happened then? They didn’t kick him off campus. Oh no, I went to a state college. Instead, the campus posted two guards on him to keep the students at bay. They told us that this man had a right to say whatever he wanted at our school because the grounds were public and he is protected by the First Amendment. Of course, this only made the students even more angry.

Eventually, one student who I knew in passing from a gen-ed class, got up on the planter next to the man. Now, I’m paraphrasing slightly here, but what he basically said was: This man has no voice but the one you give him. If we all leave, he has no audience and his words mean nothing.

Then, he got down off the planter, picked up his backpack and walked away. What he did was more mature, tolerant and forward thinking than any of the ruckus that was made by any of the other students.

For the rest of my life, I will only vaguely remember what that zealot said on my campus, but I will most certainly remember the message of that one student, who was wiser than all the rest of us.

Now, when I see some ridiculous sign, with some ridiculous message, I still feel some ire build up in me. But then I remember that it is only words, crazy words, and I shake my head, pass it by and forget it.

• Tracie the Red @ at 11:05 am, December 10th, 2009

RE: “This man has no voice but the one you give him. If we all leave, he has no audience and his words mean nothing.”

Got that right.

And the same can be said of the Bible, which was written by fallible men (no matter what is said about it being “inspired” by God).

You don’t have to listen to a word of it.

ALL can be free of that culture’s values and teachings.

Go find some reconstructionist pagans (Asatru, Kemetics, Hellenics, Celtic reconstructionists – I’m not talking about eclectic pagans or Wiccans here, don’t go to them) and talk to them for a while.

The three Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity and Islam) have power only insofar as any of us GIVES them power.

Refuse to give it to them any more.

Christianity in particular is responsible for the destruction of Europe’s indigenous spiritual traditions and practices. Take it back! Return to your ancestral paths.

• Tracie the Red @ at 11:16 am, December 10th, 2009

By the way, how is it that Michelle, who was NOT a student at Syracuse but was simply a local resident, was NOT trespassed for being on so-called “private property”?

• Laura Cohen @ at 11:52 am, December 10th, 2009

No one cares about Corduroy Skirts, its just a pathetic excuse for homosexuals trying to be funny, well, they are not. Focus on the problem that you are a homo before focusing on other people’s dressing, that’s the real problem.

• Grandmère Mimi @ at 5:09 pm, December 10th, 2009

I confess that I haven’t read all the comments, and perhaps someone else has already said this, but I thought I’d add my bit of profundity anyway, “You go, Chris!”

A friend of mine pointed out that the young woman made a comma blunder on her sign. I’m just saying.

• Links und Video der Woche (2009/50) :: cimddwc @ at 5:42 am, December 13th, 2009

[...] you free“? Man stellt sich daneben mit einem Schild „Corduroy skirts are a sin“! So geschehen in Syracuse… (via Starts With A [...]

• Michael Ware @ at 11:28 pm, December 14th, 2009

Personally, I don’t think Christ gives a shit if you are homosexual
    or Jehova’s Witness. He has his own problems, like removing the scars from his forehead from that crown of thorns he had to wear. And, he is not coming back. He has recently been to a screening of the Passion. His words were,”What cha got planned for me this time?” You going to pull me apart between two Ferrari’s?
    And while we’re on the subject. I don’t know one sorry son of a bitch down here that I would die for, let alone for his or her sins.
    Also, God has sent a message down here to be passed on by Pope Ratsinger, which is, he doesn’t remember seeing an application for employment from any Budhist Monk, Rabbi, Priest, Cardinal, Pope, or Televangelist and as far as he is concerned, not only did he not write the Bible, he is ready to write a few wrongs. And, he said that the only one of us fuck-ups down here that was anything close to being and “angel”, was “Mother Teresa”, and the jury is still out on her!”
    Got a comment? Send it care of High Angel Public Relations.
    Sincerely Yours,
    Norman Ghandi

• JS @ at 9:24 pm, December 15th, 2009

@Grandmère Mimi

High-larious! Her sign should read:

“Homosexuality is a sin; Christ can set you free!” Leaving out that semi-colon really detracts from her argument…I can’t stand bad punctuation!

• Louis @ at 7:37 am, December 16th, 2009

This is a great story — uplifting and humorous. I’m the publisher of a new gay paper in Wisconsin and we’ve got evangelical Christians putting fliers about the “sin of homosexuality” in all our papers on the rack at Whole Foods. Does anyone have ideas for how we could retaliate in a clever way like this? You can find the paper online at wisconsingazette.com.

• Molly @ at 5:01 pm, December 19th, 2009

What a great story! I came in b/c I saw the Corduroy skirt title and am concerned b/c I own one. But mine is pink and knee-length so maybe I’m okay. I’m probably a walking fashion don’t anyway. ;)

YAY for the sign and support! That is awesome.

• T. @ at 1:36 pm, December 28th, 2009

A
    creative
    way
    to
    support
    gay
    rights.

Inspiring story.

• TB @ at 10:06 am, January 25th, 2010

Fantastic! Bummed that I’m late to the party. Corduroy skirts are the Devil incarnate. The University was wise to banish this evil from the campus.

• sordatos @ at 7:05 am, February 15th, 2010

Good way to own that biggot idol worthshiper…….

Im gnostic (since being atheist its someway unscientific) and cracks me up that the most religious people are the one with less understanding of what they claim to believe:

For start, and get this, ALL THAT BULLSHIT ABOUT JESUS NOT WANTING SOMETHING OR SAYING WHAT NOT, are probably, INCORRECT or at least misquoted, Jesus corpse was already dust when the gospels were written,since the big majority of people couldnt write or read in those times, it was pass one from mouth to mu SO its logical to mouth and we all know who that ends … SECOND when the Roman Empire decided to “go Christian” Constantine put a council to decide and edit what was official and what not, and then began an search and destroy of all the other variants of the Nazarene teaching…SO IMPOSSIBLE TO CLAIM THAT JESUS SAID SOMETHING, SINCE THE CHURCH ITSELF DOESNT KNOW EXACTLY.

And know with the old testament, you see, it a bunch of stories and legends based in older beliefs, witch in turn were base in older ones, so its as “unique” as any other religion out there. The book were made for ignorant to whom couldnt be reason, SO they had to make rules to assure their well being, the only way to do that its scare the shit out of them saying that an almighty being will rape if you dont obey:

Like all that “no eating pork or shellfish” its was made cause pigs and shellfish used to carry lots of
    diseases, so a way to stay clear of problems they banned their consumption.Marriage its a way to continue your blood and pass on your goods, SO gay couples are pointless since they cant procreate, which in a time with high child dead rate its extremely important, and beside that homo “abomination thing” its was more related to difference themselves from other religions where homosexuality was encouraged than something else. The bible have some part that can even described as homo erotic if you pay attention.

But NOW pigs and shellfish are carefully raised and properly stored so that makes the rules concerning that pointless, but lots of Jews still observe them cause it being done since memorial times and very few persons stop to think what the fuck they believe in or do they just follow the rules blindfolded, know there no need to reproduce like crazy since we live up to 75 years and must of the children(in reasonably developed countries) survive. With better agricultural technics now we dont have to follow the “no mixing” seed rules, nevertheless I sure that they are still idiots that follow that rule.

And there are a lot of outdated rules in the Bible that make no sense now days, like stoning someone to death just cause the person divorced or had an affair or didnt observe the Sabbath, and it logic since those fucking rules where written in the BRONZE AGE and the world has changed a a shit lot since then! An that what make tons of people do stupid shit in the name of their gods, they follow a book that hasn’t been updated n more than 1000 years, cause they try to talk to something, that by all means may not exist or at least cannot be communicated with and in place to fill that void there are a select group of very smart people pulling their strings for their personal view or gain..

If something can be rescued from the bible, is the stories, which have a teaching on ethics,the consecuences of the actions taken, but that can be also learned by Esopo s fables and I dont know any body calling his writing as holy or the word of god.

If Jesus said something, it to love , to help each other to turn the other chick, to live in certain moderation since giving to all of our impulses isnt good either, all that the philosopher and other great thinkers (in their on way) already said before him, to be able to live a life as humans. BUT NO, THAT BORING! WE NEED FIREWORKS!, we need Jesus to be he son of god, we need blood and a miracles, we need that someone chew and digest the things for us and tell us what to think and save us from inner search and analyze the world that surround us, so we cant peek whatever “truth” is more convinient for us and point and judge every body else..

THINK , THINK DAMMIT!!

Another thing, having a right it not a free pass it comes with consecuences, nothing its for free here, its means that if you go and shout to the world that taking it in the ass is a sin , then you have to be prepared to be antagonize and mock at, but again religious folks think that they can attack other beliefs of lack of, but god forbid if I go to the street and star to preach about not believing in god and the pope being a faggot or whipping my ass with the Koran or the Torah (things that i would NEVER do, since i belive they have their value in human history) cause i could get killed by belivers, while a I do have to endure church giving their preach with microphone or having to listen Mormons at my door and what not

• Ophelia @ at 9:45 am, April 5th, 2010

I do not think he should have attacked her clothing, the fact that corduroy actually *is* a sin–kudos to everyone who pointed it out–notwithstanding. If it had been a man holding that sign, would the counter-attack have involved clothing or any other aspect of his physical appearance? I don’t think so. I freely admit that it was a humourous way to counter-protest, but it just reinforces the belief in our society that women should be judged on their physical appearance.

• Homosexuality is sin | One Born Every Minute @ at 1:06 am, April 15th, 2010

[...] this happened at Syracuse University in November. Here’s a good account of what happened, apparently it’s written by the guy holding the [...]

• Bryn @ at 11:35 pm, June 22nd, 2010

As a Christian, I am so sad to see so many of the comments on this wall. While, yes, there are parts of the bible that condemn homosexuality, as sordatos said, most of the old testement rules were God’s rules to his people to make there lives safe. People at that time needed to procreate to ensure their family’s survival and enough workhands in the farm. Just like not eating shellfish and pork was to protect them, guarding against homosexuality was to ensure the survival of their line.

I believe that Jesus is the savior for all mankind, and that his most important commandment was to love. While it is possible to love the sinner, hate the sin, it is very difficult to separate the “sin” from the “sinner” in this case.

I believe that, above all, Jesus commanded us to love. If I err on the side of love and accept homosexuality, then at least I will have made a loving mistake, rather than make the (in my opinion, worse) mistake of not loving enough.

Whatever your personal beliefs on homosexuality, the fact of the matter is, we should love others. Love. Make the mistake of loving too much, and not recognizing the sin, because Jesus would rather have us love too much than to judge others.

• Hoyt Fashion Jeans Brands @ at 10:25 am, July 17th, 2010

Some designer jeans like authentic vintage jeans needs special way of cleaning. Older denim are easy to tear or fade when washed. In this type of jeans, you have to use cold water in washing.

• Activist of the Day: Chris Pesto – Towleroad, More than gay news. More gay men « Zachary Lin Zhao @ at 7:54 am, August 6th, 2010

[...] Chris Pesto, a junior drama major at Syracuse University, felt uncomfortable when he saw Open-Air Campaigner evangelist Michelle Deferio standing on campus with her anti-gay sign, so he decided to create a bit of his own drama: [...]

• Stephanie @ at 8:38 am, August 30th, 2010

How sad that we have reached an era where society calls good evil and evil good. What is so hateful about the young woman’s sign? She is not making a personal attack on anyone, but simply advertising a personal belief about a certain lifestyle. Whereas this young man is certainly making a personal attack on her clothing choice. By the way, I found this article while googling for cordoroy skirts. I’d like to find one! Kudos to the young woman! Blessed are ye when men shall revile you and persecute you and say all manner of evil against you falsely for Christ’s sake! Rejoice and be glad for great is your reward in heaven!

• krysta @ at 6:03 pm, September 20th, 2010

when i seen this picture on facebook i was ripped apart many people think they are able to do what they wish, and that ladie with the sign of hatred is the only one sining and when i seen the guy standing there with his sign was amazing to see! im glad to know there are still people out there who care about one another and Stephanie what is so hatefull about her sign is she is basicly saying homosexuality is a sin and you will end up in hell,,

• Lynn @ at 8:46 pm, October 5th, 2010

I always find it interesting how people who’s faith is based on spirit and not the flesh and it’s details (male, female)can’t seem to stop coveting it so.

• Caroline Larry @ at 3:37 am, October 23rd, 2010

I genuinely really like the layout that you’re using, is it custom created?

• Jennifer @ 7 for all Mankind Online @ at 8:57 pm, October 31st, 2010

Hello, just wandered by. I have a 7 for all Mankind site. Amazing the amount of information on the web. Not what I was looking for, but great site. Cya later.

• God Hates Corduroy Skirts | So So Gay @ at 5:44 pm, November 21st, 2010

[...] that we aren’t afraid, and we will put up a fight.Read more about Chris’s protest over on fbomb.google_ad_client = "ca-pub-2877322894057808"; /* SSG Bottom of articles */ google_ad_slot = [...]

• cowboyneok @ at 12:27 am, December 10th, 2010

I suggest a MEDAL OF FREEDOM for Chris Pesto! Woo HOO!

• Nona Lovasz @ at 5:36 pm, January 17th, 2011

Nicely completed, you’ve gotten gained a new fan, resources like the one you mentioned listed below are very helpful to me. I will put up a link to this page on my blog. I am positive my visitors will find this very useful, please try my site sometime and leave me a comment to let me know what you think. Regards,

• mat @ at 2:58 am, January 19th, 2011

Honestly: this made me wish I was gay :D

• Glyzel @ at 5:02 pm, July 8th, 2011

I think it’s interesting!Btw;I know that homosexuality is a sin but i learned that God accepts everyone that believes. Therefore, I support homosexual relationships. Nothing can stop love with something so little like this :)

• someone @ at 11:11 pm, July 30th, 2012

I agree with John’s comment (though it’s pretty far up there) that the way this was handled wasn’t so mature. I felt the woman was pretty darn brave for holding up that sign even after so many went against her. But the fact that the student protested against her outfit instead of her opinion is absolutely tasteless. It showed immaturity and the failure to protest openly for gay marriage.

• The Corduroy Skirt - What To Wear With It? | Design Skirt.com @ at 8:17 pm, August 18th, 2012

[...] 40 that are comfortable…Color Blocking for Winter 2011 : How to use solid colors to AccesorizeCorduroy Skirts are a Sin .recentcomments a{display:inline !important;padding:0 !important;margin:0 [...]

• Alexander Avril @ at 10:04 pm, November 2nd, 2012

Good post. I learn something more difficult on totally different blogs everyday. It’s going to at all times be stimulating to read content material from other writers and observe a bit of one thing from their store. I’d want to make use of some with the content on my weblog whether or not you don’t mind. Natually I’ll give you a link on your net blog. Thanks for sharing.

• GeburtstagswüNsche @ at 4:55 am, May 8th, 2014

Please let me know if you’re looking for a writer for your
    weblog. You have some really great articles and I think I would be a
    good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load
    off, I’d love to write some content for your blog in
    exchange for a link back to mine. Please send me an e-mail if interested.
    Thank you!

• bisexe chaude du clitoris @ at 11:55 am, May 15th, 2014

On va dire que ce n’est guère incohérent !!

• dp débauchée @ at 4:22 pm, May 21st, 2014

Vous rédigez constamment des postes intéressants

• Garce Sodomisatrice @ at 6:53 am, June 12th, 2014

On voit immédiatement que vous maîtrisez bien ce
    que vous dites