Feminism | Posted by Mvibes on 01/5/2010

A Walking Chest

cleavage: not just for staring at

cleavage: not just for staring at

I was on an online forum when I saw that a girl asked the question: “Girls: would your life be easier without boobs?”

I thought about this for a moment. My chest is awkwardly large, a pain when it comes to shopping for shirts (or bras). And I’m sick of boys staring at my chest, seeing me as nothing more then a walking pair of boobs and making lude comments. On the other hand boys who don’t stare are worth my time and boobs do feed babies.

So I answered her question with a well thought out answer. My mistake.

Every girl who answered said something along the lines of:
“OH GAWD NO! I LOVE MY BOOBS!!!”
“They attracts boys! So of COURSE I need them, how else would I get boys?”
“EW! I dont want to be one of those ugly flat chested girls!!”

OH! But luckily there were some guys who decided to answer too!
“For every girl who says her life would be easier without boobs I’ll die a little inside”
“Uh…what else are girls for?”
“heh heh BOOBS! YEAH!!!!”
and so on (some of their comments are too disgusting for me to repeat).

A few minutes later there was a reply to my answer: “Um, what do you mean ‘feed babies’? That’s not what boobs are for! That’s what formula is for! Boobs arn’t utters! they are for boys to look and play with! (this came from a girl).
Really? …Seriously?
WTF?

the ideal woman?

the ideal woman?

This reminded me of a story I read on 007b.com (a wonderful site that contains information about breasts) where a girl in a UNIVERSITY was disgusted when her professor told her that women’s breasts were made to feed babies. She had gone her whole life not knowing what breasts were actually for! After I read this I thought “no way! They MUST be exaggerating.” I did think that, until the girl from the forum showed me otherwise.

I cant believe this. I mean I KNOW some girls aren’t feminists, but that so many of them thought the same thing as horny teenage boys (to an extent) completely shocked me. I was even more shocked to find out that many girls STILL don’t know what breasts are actually for! People never cease to amaze me.

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (38 votes, average: 4.71 out of 5)

Read other posts about: , ,

• Zoe @ at 11:37 am, January 5th, 2010

Ugh. This makes me disgusted. I, just, yeah, I can’t respond to this.

At least, in my opinion, people grow out of this. Not to say guys stop staring at boobs at any point of their life, but the lewdness and stupidity of it goes down.

Anyhow. I personally love my boobs. I love how they look and I plan to use them for breastfeeding when that time comes. The pros outweigh the cons for me, but that’s not to say that every girl loves their boobs or doesn’t experience problems with them.

• Devin @ at 11:40 am, January 5th, 2010

Wow, just wow. I mean, yeah. Zoe, I’m in the same boat you are.

Would my life be easier without boobs? I think the answer is yes and no. My breasts are such a part of who I am. I cannot imagine myself without them for the same reason I don’t straighten my hair. I am a bigger person – I have a big personality, big curly hair, big loud mouth, big boobs, etc. I don’t straighten my hair because everything else would be strange and awkward. I don’t think about lessening my breasts for the same reason. My breasts also fit my body type as I am an hourglass figure.

But at the same time. My breasts are an inconvenience. They are a bit large on my frame and so they look enormous. They make it so I have to purchase clothing that fits them, but not my waist. They are not comfortable touching my skin and I must always wear a bra. My back hurts, my shoulders hurt and sometimes, I just want to cut them off.

What sort of sex ed did these people get? Even the abstinence only education explains what babies are and how they eat, right??

• ACW @ at 12:16 pm, January 5th, 2010

For the record, the size of breasts has nothing to do with the amount of milk a woman can produce… Breasts don’t feed babies; nipples do… So we could all do without the DD-cups and still not need formula… but don’t get me started on the evils of formula.
    I know that I could do without back pain. I could do without having to budget $100-200 a year on expensive support bras. When I was younger, I could have done without boys being less interested in what I had to think or say and more interested in copping a feel. When I was breastfeeding, I could have done without the accompanying engorgement and the indescribable pain of smacking a breast into an open door.
    Women who tie their self-worth to the size of their breasts sell themselves short, set themselves up for hurt, and heaven forbid they ever have to have a mastectomy.
    Do I hate having breasts? No. Would life be a little easier without them, or with a more reasonable size? Yes.

• Lara @ at 12:31 pm, January 5th, 2010

My mother breastfed me and my two younger siblings, so breasts equaling baby food was just a fact. The whole sexualization of the boobies happened later.
    When mom would breastfeed in public I totally didn’t understand why people gave her dirty looks until I was like ten.
    So this is kinda mindblowing for me… I’m going to cut my friends more slack for no knowing where their clit is.

• Ruth @ at 1:51 pm, January 5th, 2010

I like my boobs most of the time, I sometimes feel like I wish they were bigger but in more of a “grass is greener on the overside” sort of way. Fortuntly they don’t get stared at much. And as someone who suspects they are Bisexual, while I am attracted to other girls boobs I know they are not there for my enternainment, BOYS.

• Steph @ at 2:31 pm, January 5th, 2010

I like my breasts, even if they ARE a bit small, and I kind of like knowing that if I really wanted to, I could breastfeed with them. But knowing that they’re MINE, and that I can push them up, or cover them, or bind them down flat, or whatever, because they’re mine, is a really powerful feeling.

• Chelsea! @ at 3:46 pm, January 5th, 2010

I myself am pretty flat chested. Whenever me and my friends talk about curves, if there’s guys around, usually at least 2 of them make a comment about how I don’t have much going on.
    My response is usually “I really don’t GAF what you think about MY body. I like it this way and if that bothers you, well then I’m sorry.”

I hate how girls only see themselves as useful if they have big breasts and a big butt. So annoying and depressing all at the same time.

• Toongrrl @ at 5:39 pm, January 5th, 2010

Boobs. Are like computers. They are great and essential (boobs for feeding the next generation and to cushion a few falls and computers for homework) but they can be a pain in the butt!!!

• grammar dude @ at 6:22 pm, January 5th, 2010

Before you go on a rant about stupid women, learn to spell. You’ll be much more credible. It’s lewd, not “lude”.

Boobs are great.

That is all

• Jake @ at 6:43 pm, January 5th, 2010

Whatever, people. Most men think women are attractive, and most men like boobs. Complain all you want. You might as well talk about how much you hate the fact that people get hungry. It doesn’t change a damn thing.

Evolution has made us this way, and begrudging a gender for things about us that we cannot change is simple misandry.

• Vorbewusstes @ at 6:45 pm, January 5th, 2010

It will shock you, but did you ever notice, that apes don’t really have boobs? It is the nipple that gives the milk and some very tiny organ behind. Real “boobs” as we all call a 75 d-cup and above don’t have any other meaning than being an aberration of nature to attract males of the same species. It works. Sometimes with women too.

• Guy.StumblingThrough @ at 7:27 pm, January 5th, 2010

So, this is awkward because I strongly believe that breasts are probably the second best feature of a woman’s body (The best obviously being the curvature at the waist and hip) Boobs, in all their numerous shapes and sizes, are a miraculous blend of form and function.

I can’t address the objectification of women based on their breasts (having very little personal experience with it whatsoever) but it may be worth remembering that boobs aren’t the only thing we guys think about even if they may be the first thing we notice.

• Julz @ at 8:03 pm, January 5th, 2010

I’m a butch and I’m uncomfortable going out in public without binding my breasts. I don’t mind being unbound in private, and sometimes really enjoy having them during those times, but I prefer to keep them something of a secret between myself and my lover(s). Am I going to get rid of them on purpose? Probably not, as far as I can foresee. Would I be happier without them? Possibly. It would be convenient to not bind everyday. All in all, though, I’m comfortable with my body and the way things are.

• Claire @ at 8:07 pm, January 5th, 2010

It’s odd that I should stumble on this today, because just yesterday I thought to myself for the first time in my life “I really love my boobs.”

Sure, they kinda point off in two different directions and sometimes don’t perk up in the most aesthetically pleasing way… but they’re awesome! Seriously, every boy should be jealous they don’t have a pair of these.

Also, the older I get (18 now), the more I look forward to breastfeeding. What could be a more beautiful act than literally giving sustenance from one’s own body?

• Emily87 @ at 8:24 pm, January 5th, 2010

Actually, I was flipping through “The Definitive Book of Body Language” one day, and there was a mention of how a cleavage looks like, well, a butt. There was a study done to see if the people could tell the difference between a cleavage and a butt, and many people could not. In other primates, how the butt looks indicates on whether or not a female is ready to mate with. I don’t remember it all, but it was certainly a fascinating little tidbit that the author decided to put in. Evidently, cleavages do play a part in sexuality other than for feeding children.
    I don’t really have plans for children in my future, but that does not mean that I do not like my breasts. I do. Oh, and the “boobs aren’t udders!” comment makes me think that somebody needs to retake the evolution unit in biology. Formula hasn’t been around forever.

• randomdude @ at 8:33 pm, January 5th, 2010

Not everyone thinks larger is better.
    I’ve read it suggested that breasts evolved as something for infants to hold on to once females lost their chest hair.

• Colleen @ at 8:38 pm, January 5th, 2010

Well I, personally have quite a small chest.
    I look abnormally old for my age, I really hate it because it makes me uncomfortable how older guys mistake me for being older (it might sound flattering on paper but its really just very awkward). I am like 5’8, I’m thin but I’m not stick thin, so I’m not one of those girls who are completely flat, I just have a less noticeable chest! And I agree society is completely carried away with breast size…..sure it might be flattering to a woman’s figure proportionately speaking to have a fuller chest, but people are SO carried away with it!

For years I’ve had boys mock me regarding my “unimpressive” chest size, but unfortunately the REALLY avid teasers are girls. I feel like girls are worse than boys when it comes to obsessing over breasts…..similar to how boys obsess over penis size? I used to be so insecure about my (lack of) chest, but lately I’ve had a revelation. I mean, look at Kate Hudson, Kira Knightly, Julia Stiles, etc! All very free spirited, strong, independent women, all flat chested. Not to mention these women are drop dead GORGEOUS! So I’ve learned to love my body. I just don’t understand the big deal. Its just a body part! Its for baby’s nutrition! Its fine for men to appreciate a woman’s figure (in their minds) to an appropriate extent, but this obsession is just ridiculous!

• pastavangelist @ at 8:50 pm, January 5th, 2010

I just wish men’s “bulges” were a little more prominent. If every woman could tell what a guy was packing just by glancing at him (the way men can easily ‘judge’ a woman’s chest) then I bet men would keep their mouth shut more often.

Everyone has a part of their body that they feel uncomfortable about. When I first met my husband I hated him because he was ALWAYS talking about what kind of butt shape he liked. I felt like I had the opposite of what he described so I thought he was just rude and intentionally trying to embarrass me in front of my friends. It wasn’t until months later that he told me that was his subtle way of complimenting me! He said he was describing MY butt and trying to let me know that he liked my body but I was so self-conscious that I didn’t realize it!

And women aren’t the only ones with body issues.
    I think it’s interesting the way my male friends usually shut up immediately whenever the girls start talking about penis size. Suddenly every guy gets REALLY uncomfortable. I’m not trying to be mean to men, but sometimes I wish they realized how they make us feel when they laugh and joke about women’s bodies.

If you can’t say something nice…..

• Ryan @ at 9:03 pm, January 5th, 2010

That’s really insane. How the hell could a University student not know what breasts are “for”? They’re only so important that our biological class is named after them (mammals, that is). I can’t help but see this as an example of humanocentrism, as well. “Boobs arn’t utters”–implying that cows don’t produce milk for the same reasons our species does: the feed their young. It strikes me as a disconnect from what we are fundamentally as humans. I really hope the author is exaggerating here because these kids are just damn stupid.

• Teapot @ at 9:57 pm, January 5th, 2010

OK, wait — so, how exactly do the babies eat the boobs?

• Lee @ at 10:13 pm, January 5th, 2010

Wow,seriously… wow. As a lesbian I’m actually not all that obsessed with breasts like guys my age are. Granted they’re nice to look at, but for me, what purpose do they really hold other than for pleasure? I plan on adopting should politics allow me to. I’m petite with breasts that are disproportionately large for my size. I’d be insane to give birth and I doubt my partner would want to give birth and then I’d still have to adopt the child if we were to BOTH be legal parent/guardians of that child. But personally, I think women with smaller breasts are so much sexier than girls with larger breasts. I don’t know, maybe it’s because hey, I have them, I don’t need any more cushion to get in the way. Three of the sexiest girls in music/movies are flat chested too. I mean really, Kiyomi McCloskey, Katherine Moennig, Michelle Rodriguez look amazingly drop dead gorgeous. But, then again, it’s probably easier to be a lesbian with smaller breasts than a straight woman. Lesbians don’t tend to obsess over breasts.

• Mejin @ at 10:21 pm, January 5th, 2010

I love my 32As. My back feels fantastic, I don’t have to wear a bra and it was a huge plus when I was on swim team. :)

• Annie @ at 10:49 pm, January 5th, 2010

Girls, your bodies are PERFECT exactly the way that they are. Do not let men and JEALOUS women effect how you feel about yourself. Work with what you have, because when it comes down to it, it’s all about your heart and your mind.

• Julia @ at 12:11 am, January 6th, 2010

I’m not surprised by how most of these girls responded. Nearly everything girls are exposed to tells them that the sole purpose of their assets is to attract men.

I’ve never actually had any problems with my breasts. I’ve sometimes wished they were a bit bigger, not to attract boys, but so that they’d be a bit more proportional to my body and so that I could actually find bras in my size. I don’t plan on having children, so I won’t have to worry about breastfeeding. But I still don’t think I’d want to get rid of them. They’re just kind of there.

• Robert @ at 12:34 am, January 6th, 2010

I don’t care one bit about the size of a girl’s breasts. I’ve only ever dated one girl with a cup size above an A, and I get a lot of crap for telling other guys that boobs are not something to obsess over.

With that being said, I have to admit that they can be fun to play with (boys like squishy stuff), but I would never base my attraction to a girl on the size of her chest.

• Melinda @ at 1:18 am, January 6th, 2010

I love TEH BOOBIES (To look at and play with).

But that doesn’t mean I should ignore their multifaceted nature! Gah!

• Stormy @ at 2:52 am, January 6th, 2010

Hello, girlfriends. Before my first pregnancy my bra size was 32/A. Afterwards my breast expanded to 34/DD. Wow. Boob size really doesn’t count amongst most men. But you know…they notice. It’s because they want to suckle..no matter the size of the teat.

• ryan @ at 2:59 am, January 6th, 2010

Two things:

1) “Lude” is not a word.

2) The idea that breasts are “actually” for breastfeeding is nonsense. Unless you are assuming the existence of some diety that designed them for one specific purpose only, they aren’t “actually” for anything. Breastfeeding is just one of the things that can be done with them.

• K. L. @ at 5:12 am, January 6th, 2010

I have to say that my life would be much easier if I didn’t have breasts at least of my size (HH). Not only is it extremely expensive for me to keep myself in properly fitting bras but they cause back problems and make it really difficult to do anything sports wise. While I appreciate their natural function I’m still rather uncomfortable while carrying that much weight. On the other hand having smaller breasts I can’t see as an issue. I do think that the media has gone overboard though with such thin models that they have no breasts. It’s more like they have bumps than curves which is completely unnatural. My best friend is very flat chested but she still has some curves.

• Morgan @ at 8:25 am, January 6th, 2010

The routine sexualization of women’s breasts (while men’s are seen as just another body part, not incomparable to a face or hands) in society (western society in particular) has long pissed me off.

Perhaps because I’m a busty woman who developed early, so I got a lot of harassment from a young age…

I digress.

There’s always a but… I think we do a disservice to ourselves in feminist arguments when we fall so quickly back on the old biological argument, making declarative statements like breasts are for nursing babies. Or some variation.

I get too much of a biology as destiny vibe from that statement.

And stating “breasts are for ____” (whether that blank is breastfeeding or sex) seems almost to separate breasts from women’s bodies. Setting them up as their own little entity, with their role fulfilled only when ____ happens.

Granted, I realize this whole “primary function of breasts” argument is a response to both the constant sexualizing or objectifying of women’s breasts as well as the backlash (and apparently a large amount of ignorance as well) against breastfeeding.

But it still grates.

Granted, not quite as much as the overt sexualization.

Just a thought.

• Brittney @ at 9:28 am, January 6th, 2010

I’ve had large breasts for as long as I can remember. I was a C-cup when I started 6th grade and today I’m a DD. I don’t feel that I’m “useful” because of the size of my breasts as another commenter put it. In fact, I would love to go back to being a C-cup.

I grew up with boys and grown men staring and girls making fun of me for being so much more developed than was normal for my age. It was embarrassing. I was an outcast for not having a small chest/butt.

I get my full figure from my mother’s side of the family and while I was growing up, the ideal woman was skinny, in my mind a lot skinnier than what I would ever be able to be. Then in high school, I saw a picture on the internet about women’s (7 or 8) & men’s (13) ideal sizes for women and the average size of women (16) in the U.S. After seeing that picture, I felt so much better about my body. I realize that it may not be true (I never researched it further) but I didn’t care. That boosted my self-esteem in a big way, knowing that I wasn’t unattractive because I was a curvy girl.

But back to the breast size issue, I completely agree with ACW. I don’t hate having breasts, but a smaller size would be more convenient for my back and my budget.

• Brittney @ at 9:29 am, January 6th, 2010

I hate automatic emoticons. That sunglass smiley is supposed to be an eight with a closing parenthesis around it. Sorry!

• Amy CT @ at 10:27 am, January 6th, 2010

Really?! She didn’t know what they were biologically FOR?

• Dan @ at 11:47 am, January 6th, 2010

Ok, as an 18 year old guy I have to admit that breasts are attractive. But it seems that i’m something of an abnormality because boobs and bums aren’t the be all and end all of my being attracted to a girl. If anything they are secondary even in terms of what physically attracts me – I find that the face can tell you infinitely more than the rest of the body. And call me old fashioned, but when it comes down to it, it’s the personality that ultimately attracts me.

I find it sad that girls my age don’t know what breasts are really for (I mean surely there’s enoguh information even on TV about it?). I personally wasn’t breast fed but I don’t have a problem with it at all. The only problem I do have is women who get their breasts altered unncessarily with cosmetic surgery – it’s just a reflection of a shallow, spoilt society that has nothing to do but make money out of causing sadness and insecurity as opposed to. . . oh I don’t know. . . making people feel happy about themselves?

The size of your breasts should not be your concern for attracting guys. And if it is I suggest you try finding some different guys to be around.

• Alex Catgirl @ at 1:41 pm, January 6th, 2010

The weird thing is – both side are right:D

It’s one of the mysteries of evolutionary biology – why do female Homo Spaiens have prominent breasts when they are not pregnate or lactating? The other primates, and many other species of mammals, do not, breasts swell as needed.

The consensus is the trait developed via sexual selection – early men, we are talking 100,000+ years ago, preferred females with prominent breasts, those females passed on the trait to their offspring and vola, girls have bewbs because boys like them.

Weird eh…but girls shouldn’t take offence,nature isn’t sexist. The male penis is shaped the way it is because of female preferences.

Welcome to the wonderful world of sexual selection, which is not the same as natural selection.

• LeeJH @ at 1:42 pm, January 6th, 2010

Enlarged breasts are a ‘secondary sexual characteristic’ – they need some mass to produce milk, which is their primary purpose, but humans have larger ones than are necessary for mate attraction. So technically they’re ‘for’ both things, not just feeding babies.

• May @ at 2:41 pm, January 6th, 2010

*sigh* This is as depressing as the recent post on Fail blog showing a girl’s question on yahoo or something… she was asking what sex had to do with babies, because, they, like, have nothing to do with one another.

Our sex education is clearly a total failure.

• Sarah @ at 4:01 pm, January 6th, 2010

You know, I really do love my boobs. I love how they look, how they feel, and what they will do when given the chance. I don’t really get any stares from guys, because my boobs aren’t that much to look at. Apparently size is everything to the pigs…

• Tahleen @ at 10:51 pm, January 6th, 2010

I love how SOME people leaving comments are using spelling errors as a defense for their beliefs that “The idea that breasts are “actually” for breastfeeding is nonsense. Unless you are assuming the existence of some diety that designed them for one specific purpose only, they aren’t “actually” for anything. Breastfeeding is just one of the things that can be done with them.” Ahem. EVOLUTION. It has nothing to do with a deity. And yes, women might have larger breasts because we evolved that way, but really, they are for breastfeeding. I’m pretty sure that’s why women evolved the way we did. We started out with breasts to feed babies.

• Tahleen @ at 10:52 pm, January 6th, 2010

Also, I’d like to point out that “diety” is not a word either.

• PatriarchySlayer @ at 1:39 am, January 7th, 2010

Ahhh, the breasts. Yes, my breasts have determined a significant amount of my pain, my money, my frustration and my tears. Would I love to have smaller breasts, without a doubt. And someday I plan on it. One body part should never rule your existence (sorry guys) ever. But sometimes I feel like that. I can never get away from my breasts. They’re always there, in the way, weighing me down.

Someday I will say I love my breasts. But not today. And yes, it is exceptionally sad that people can’t spell, or that they don’t know what our anatomy is for. Sad. I will probably never be able to breastfeed. But that’s okay with me. It sounds pretty rough anyways.

And I do absolutely hate that a man would rather touch my breasts than anything else on my body, rather than kissing me. I am a pair of walking breasts…I am not a person. Yes I’m attracted to men, but I’m attracted to their everything they have, not just their penis. It’s an entire package including their brains. How come guys can’t see that about me?

• Steph @ at 4:09 pm, January 7th, 2010

@Julz: Finally, another butch! Seriously, it’s nice to have another one around. I’m kind of a soft butch myself, but I do bind semi-frequently. I also king, for what it’s worth. My question is, do you feel that your chest doesn’t fit you, or is it just part of expressing your butch-ness? For me, when I bind, it’s so I can look damn handsome, not because of any irritation with my body.

• Jen @ at 7:00 pm, January 7th, 2010

FIrst of all, I want to question the sex education in this country. Second of all, I want to tell every female that no matter what size they are, we are all beautiful. The female body is a naturally beautiful occurrence of form and function (you said it guy stumbling.) It’s incredibly rewarding knowing that one day I will be able to nourish my children. On a side note, I have read that one reason men are attracted to breasts is that it is a subconscious indication of how to find a fertile mate. So to answer the question, yes I like my breasts. I love them.

• Harold @ at 8:53 pm, January 7th, 2010

I stumbled across this and was so disappointed with the responses Breasts are a fact of life. like turned up noses or blue eyes they are unique to each and every woman. Big or small should make no difference except for the comfort factor. We in western society seem obsessed with them in the 1920s women would bind there chests because the flat look was popular then. Now women run out to get implants if they think they’re to small. Its all in the mind In japan women with long necks are considered sexy and big breasts are not. In Victorian times ankles were the in thing women s breasts were not regarded as anything but a food source for infants. Change your minds not your bodys unless you are doing so for your own health and comfort.

• Raine @ at 9:23 pm, January 7th, 2010

This is depressing. As a 21 year old male, I would like to formally apologize to every woman (actually, to the right-minded men, too) for the disrespectful and absurd behavior of my kindred with regard to breasts.

As far as the responses from the women asked, I’m left almost completely speechless.

• Kenzie @ at 12:28 am, January 8th, 2010

I find my boobs annoying sometimes. I think I would like to sleep on my stomach, but I can’t because my boobs are in the way. It hurts to jump around a lot. I can’t take my shirt off when it’s hot like the guys can. When I look in the mirror I get kind of annoyed because my boobs are not even or proportional. I am a B. But whatever.

• Lecrownoir @ at 2:35 am, January 8th, 2010

Boobs are useful, if you have babies.
    I like boobs, however and I’m a bisexual woman. I don’t place a large amount of importance on them, they’re nice to the touch and whatnot, but that’s really as far as it goes.

• Xenu01 @ at 7:41 pm, January 8th, 2010

I like every part of my body, but if I could leave the boobs and vadge at home sometimes, life would be less stressful.

• allie @ at 10:03 pm, January 8th, 2010

i have to say i love my boobs. and i dont really get mad at guys for liking them, gasp there i said it. i totally understand, its a sign of femininity. i also have to say no you dont need big boobs to get guys, believe it or not some guys like small boobs as much as big boobs, i dont know any guys who dont like boobs. its true, come on. finding somebody sexually attractive is not wrong, i like chest hair on a guy and dont get me started on how sexy mens hands can be. the way i see it, sexy man hands and forearms are to me what boobs are to men, but it is a bit crazy that guys would say that boobs are only for men to play with, i always thought thats why they liked them so much, they can feed their children and arouse them both at the same time, their wonder boobs.

• SarahC @ at 12:02 pm, January 9th, 2010

That’s sad. Don’t get me wrong, I love my boobs. But I know they’re technically for feeding babies. I don’t want to use them for such, because I don’t want babies. They’re pretty, they’re squishy, at times they’re ridiculous.

But it would be nice if I could leave them at home sometimes. I feel like they occasionally undermine my credibility, and sometimes they’re a pain in the ass. When I’m in a gaming store, or simply riding my horse, I don’t need a glaring reminder of the fact that I’m female. I get sick of having to wear a bra or feel naked.

I will state that my experiences with Sex Ed have not stressed boobs at all. We cover that they grow, and briefly mention lactating, before we go on to the menstrual cycle. Sadly, it is not surprising that someone should be all “WTF? They feed babies?!”

• Mvibes @ at 2:16 pm, January 9th, 2010

The sex ed I had (once in 5th grade and then again in 9th) covered othing of the actual function of breasts. In 5th grade we were split up. Girls got a talking to and a crappy, uninformative video about a girl who got her very frist period. “Shes upset about her period. And has no idea what shes supposed to buy. She is becomming a woman and may experiance pains in her lower abdomin). After the video we were told that we too would get periods…the end. It didnt even mention WHY needded to buy “anything” or what they were for. (yes I understand that we could figure it out but still, why pussyfoot around it?)

And in 9th grade boys and girls were kept in the same room. A video (that was very vauge and also uninformative) about abstinance and condoms. (but nothing how to put one on, or anything. It was just “dont have sex” and “if you do wear these (codoms) and take these (the pill)).

Honestly I would appreciate if these sex ed classes actually, I dunno, TAUGHT about sex and the “unmentionable” body parts. (keeping it age appropriate though. and for the 5th grade class: give the girls a little more to go on. Like maybe what a happens during a period).

• lvleph @ at 6:31 pm, January 9th, 2010

So I figured I would give some perspective from a guy. I am probably not a normal guy, but… Personally, boobs are not what attracts me to a girl. I actually look for someone that is fun to talk to and has a nice face.

On the other hand I prefer women with small breasts. I guess I would have to say I am not one of those guys that stare. I am use to being stared at myself, so I can understand being annoyed by this.

We are sexual creatures and don’t feel it is wrong to take a peek. This is natural and I don’t see it as sexist or objectifying.

• Keema @ at 12:22 am, January 10th, 2010

Personally I love my chest, God gave it to me, but I do think I’d feel much better without them. Without my breasts it might be easier to find lumps in them when I have to do a monthly breast exam, plus guys won’t have to compare my size to another girl’s (that goes for my butt too for that one). I don’t plan on having kids so I won’t need them to breast feed.

While I’m starting on my breasts I should also say that life would be sooo much better without a period! Everytime I get mad, nobdy would have to say “She’s PMS-ing” or “it’s that time of month, don’t mind her.”

• Jayne @ at 2:21 am, January 10th, 2010

I can’t it’d be easier as I’m flat already. But what do I care. I get to woo guys with a personality =D

• Morgan @ at 12:25 pm, January 10th, 2010

I think this question is the similar to what are bodies for? Why do we look the way we do?
    Personally, I love my body. Even though I do have my insecure moments, for the most part I have come to terms with what I look like physically. Believe me, I have my flaws and because I have big boobs at times I have to say, hi my eyes are up here.
    But the whole notion of those comments that both men and women wrote about what the use is of breasts seems to come to a common patriarchal theme: that women belong to and live for men.
    Sure, I may not know why I look the way I do, why I have curves and moles and birth marks. But I know I sure as hell do not look the way I do and do not have big boobs just to entertain boys or make them feel better.
    To be honest it makes me pretty sad to hear “it would be nice if I could leave them at home sometimes. I feel like they occasionally undermine my credibility” (sorry, i’m not trying to pick on you SaraC) because I feel like we should be proud to be women and all that comes with that, boobs and all.
    Sure, we have come a long way in the feminist movement, but we still have far to go and the only way for that is not to be ashamed or want to change anything about us.

• KatSaw @ at 11:20 pm, January 10th, 2010

I rather like female mammaries.

I’m straight but I love to draw female nudes – just a private aesthetic. Personally I find the female torso region attractive, although I tend to prefer the waist/stomach area more.

Breasts are annoying in a lot of cases, as those commenting before me have already made clear. I’m a C/D and am happy with mine now (used to hate them before – it was a puberty overload thing..) becuse not only do I think they look nice but they are an amazing source of pleasure in sexual situations.

A girl I met once was chatting frankly about her breast augmentation and saying she went for the “non-Hollywood option” – that is; not having the implant inserted through an areola incision. Instead she asked for the doctor to do the less-popular underbust cut. She’s left with small but visible scars, which she doesn’t mind because she can still enjoy the sexual stimulation that her nipples provide. Her loss of feeling is lower down on the breast..

I really agreed with that becaiuse she was clearly a girl who made her body the way she always wanted it without her chest becoming an object for someone else’s pleasure rather than her own. And generally I’m not a fan of augmentations, probably because I spent most of my teens wishing mine were smaller.

But still, that’s something to think about… Breasts being a source of pleasure to the girl . . and perhaps her partner =D

• realhubby @ at 3:42 pm, January 12th, 2010

As a well hung straight married masculine man I would like to go on record to say small breasts are awesome. I have enjoyed them for 10 years with no complaints. All women who complain about them being treated as an object separate from the rest female anatomy, please dispose of your dildos. That is all.

• sangetencre @ at 9:04 am, January 13th, 2010

“All women who complain about them being treated as an object separate from the rest female anatomy, please dispose of your dildos”

Realhubby, a dildo is not part of a human being.

So unless you’re discussing the concept of ogling a piece of plastic shaped like a breast, your point is moot.

• Youbet @ at 6:01 pm, January 13th, 2010

aaaahhhh, breats, how you are no fun for me to have. I have a mad case of virginal hypertrophy..which just makes for a huge amount of discomfort. Plus it makes the more sought after relations un sought after, if you get what I’m saying.

• Steph @ at 4:48 pm, January 14th, 2010

I think this is a sad commentary on how girls and women develop their sense of self worth. I can’t even say it’s disgusting because it’s our fault — as a society — that they feel that way.

I’d say a sad majority of women only view their bodies as a means of attracting or repulsing men and not in terms of functionality or how it serves them. They do this because there is so much emphasis on attracting a man and what a woman needs to do to attract a mate. I never understood this — women have much more power than they realize and if they would just exercise that power instead of letting the world continue to tell us we are second class citizens here for a man’s pleasure, they could then see the actual value in themselves.

Ahh, but I rant and no I am not a feminist — I consider myself a Humanist… I think that everyone has issues and they are all important. Men have just as many issues as women, they are just different.

• DJ @ at 6:39 pm, January 15th, 2010

This is just so weird. I mean, I’ve seen all the media hype about women’s bodies etc, but I had no idea that it’s influence ran this deep. I’ve never even CONSIDERED the question “do I love my boobs?” Isn’t it a bit like asking “do I love my arm?” Well, it’s certainly useful. Come to think of it, my arms are far more useful to me than my boobs, but I don’t get massively emotional over them either.
    Scary stuff, girls!

• Brandon @ at 7:37 am, January 24th, 2010

@Raine: Thanks for throwing your fellow man under the bus. Also, why the hell are you apologizing for males being attracted to women? If men weren’t sexually attracted to women, we wouldn’t procreate and continue the species.

@Sarah: So all men are pigs? Personal attacks against men only make your points moot. Thanks for conceding defeat. It’s like politics, attacking the opposition with personal attacks means you can’t logically fight for or against the argument being presented.

Lastly, it is evolution plain and simple. Men on average are visual creatures. Most men like breasts and you are not going to stop them from staring at them (subtly or overtly).

By getting mad about it (or worse trying to legislate it away) you only make men find more creative ways to avoid getting caught.

Although I will agree that the workplace is a place for business…not dating. It is unprofessional to be gawking at either gender.

There are a few personality ticks I notice a lot of women have that annoy me, but I don’t go on a rampage about it. If it is something insipid or trite, it really isn’t worth fighting. Plus at the end of the day it is a losing battle. Men can’t change women, women can’t change men, wives can’t change husbands, etc..

The list goes on.

• tower 200 @ at 4:10 pm, March 5th, 2010

I’m going to be away on business are they able to deliver to a P.O. Box?

• Hamish @ at 7:53 am, March 27th, 2010

Breasts have duel purpose: Feeding babies is obviously a very important role, but in addition they provide a very obvious sign of gender and sexual preparedness which should not be understated.

Why else would breasts stick out in such a uncomfortable manner if not because it makes them easier to see. Why would they make a women feel so good when squeezed, if they´re not meant to attract men.

Of course, that´s an evolutionary point of view. You´d have to talk to a sociologist for a cultural point of view, but I don´t see any disparity between being respected for any other merits and being appreciated for having a great set of tits. Sexuality should be embraced.

• Magicsofa @ at 12:09 am, March 28th, 2010

It is very sad that anyone doesn’t know what boobs are for…

I think it should be ok to look at people, after all I like it when people look at me. Commenting is stupid.

• Kaz @ at 10:41 pm, March 28th, 2010

I am a male – whether I am a man stands yet to be decided at this point in time (how many roads and all that). What I can say for certain is that, ever since I became sexually aware, I noticed that females tended to have breasts, and wondered pretty much from that point on what it must be like to have them.

In fact, I feel somewhat cheated for being stuck as a male. In any argument I always try to gather data from both sides to balance out my opinion and thus make it more credible, but this is a case in which I can only rely on second-hand info. If I could mess around with reality I might change myself into a female to see things from both sides of the looking-glass, but alas such a course is not open to me.

As a male, I am of course representative of my entire sex on this page (yaaay for debates on sexual matters) and would like to say that I see nothing wrong with ogling breasts or appreciating them in other ways per se – the negativity arises when a certain kind of male (the average one) forgets to appreciate more than JUST the breasts and realise that there is in fact an entire human being attached to them.

I try not to make things too complicated: the simpler your argument, the deeper an impact it tends to make. In the end, it comes down to how happy you are about your situation and the respect that you have for yourself and others, in both body and mind. I can’t help being attracted to women and the many wonderful features of their bodies, but I CAN decide how I treat them.

• Hiram Rittenour @ at 11:25 pm, August 2nd, 2010

Amazing webpage, where did you obtain the design?

• An Male @ at 12:09 am, August 7th, 2010

er…. sorry, but the word is “lewd”

I should know. I’m male. Lewd is important to me. It’s the fun I have when I’m being stereotypical.

(sigh)

But I know what you mean. I have an intelligence far and beyond those of my contemporaries and it’s nearly driven me to suicide on a number of occasions.

Can you imagine what it’s like to be surrounded by crowds of (what appear to be) morons? No, of course you can’t. Only I can understand that. How silly of me…

Anyway, it’s yukky and annoying and if it wasn’t for my ridiculous ego and pathetic addiction to attention I’d simply die of perfection. God would take one look at me and kill me on the spot. Jealous old bastard that he/she/it is.

• Steve @ at 10:27 am, August 7th, 2010

@grammar dude

Actually, it is “lewd.” Perhaps you should stick to grammar and leave the spelling alone.

• Suzannah @ at 7:35 pm, August 8th, 2010

This is appaling. I’m sixteen, and often I feel my life would be easier without breasts, I wouldn’t feel like a constant object whenever I scaught a glimpse of a horrible magazine, or even watched certain series or movies.
    God, I’m angry

• Chairman Meow @ at 9:15 pm, August 8th, 2010

From the standpoint of a bisexual girl, I love the way my boobs look. They’re probably my second best-looking feature (first is my eyes. Oh, isn’t it ridiculous that society has taught me to rate myself this way?) I like their shape and their size, which are both considered excellent by conventional standards. They’re nice-looking, and I’m happy about myself because they’re nice-looking. (Don’t get your knickerbockers in a twist. They’re not the ONLY reason I’m happy about myself.)
    But damn, can they be a pain. I mean, just a little after they developed, I noticed that it was getting way harder for guys to meet my eyes. I was in high school at this point, and considered kind of a bitch (this is what being snarky to the popular girls gets you), so going “Eyes up here” would not have improved matters, socially speaking. I also got plenty of verbal harassment when people thought I wasn’t able to pay attention; my first boyfriend must have been subjected to “you like her nice boobs dont you hahahaha” a few times, poor boy. It’s a good thing that I had already established myself as a too-smart nerd girl who knew all the answers in class the year before, or the “slut” label would have been smacked on me so fast that I wouldn’t have been able to move.
    Of course, a bit after that I discovered feminism, and got smacked with the “bitch” label for telling the boys around me exactly what they could do with their “get back in the kitchen” comments. So, yeah.

• mike @ at 12:37 am, August 9th, 2010

First off, love the article. Not the fact that some people and society today are horrifically stupid, but the actual writing of it.
    I am a male, if you couldn’t tell by the name. I will admit breasts are not something I can ignore personally. That is more the biological aspect of it.
    I am personally a female advocate. I am strongly for women’s rights. I am rather appalled on many levels at the subject matter here. Schools aren’t doing their jobs, some females have no idea what rights they have, and some males have no ability to control themselves. As much as I would love to fix these problems, it is what comes with society of today.

• Pete @ at 1:15 am, August 11th, 2010

You guys dont realize that these were TROLLLS!!!!!!!!

• pauldw @ at 1:33 am, March 14th, 2011

there is some sort of trend on feminist websites of seeking out the most fringey, obviously trollish things and complaining about them as if they are institutionalized sexism.

• Christa @ at 5:46 pm, April 16th, 2011

So yeah you could say I have big breasts for my age . I’m 14 and wear a 36c. And it sucks because I just hate it when you see a guy staring at your chest, and even if you give them a dirty look they don’t stop. Why can’t their be more mature guys in the world? Also, I have a small figure and it’s hard to buy clothes at my favorite stores. Because I’d I didn’t have these blobs on my chest I would be able wear clothes that fit me right.

• Sunday Links Round-Up! « @ at 11:46 am, January 29th, 2012

[...] A Walking Chest from the fbomb.org was also a great article about women’s complicated relationships with their breasts. [...]