Feminism | Posted by Natalia K on 10/7/2010

Pink and Blue

why do we prefer baby boys?

why do we prefer baby boys?

It breaks my heart whenever I hear that women in China and India are having abortions or killing their new born babies just because they turn out to be girls. I’m pro-choice, but having an abortion because your baby is a girl instead of a boy is just beyond disturbing, sexist, and repulsive. The worst part is, the same attitude is prevalent in North America. We may not be killing our new born daughters (not that I know of at least) but a lot of women are definitely devaluing their gender and have become active participants in our good ol’ patriarchy.

Think of all the times you’ve heard women say that they would rather have a boy if they ever became pregnant. Now think of why they say that. My friends always say that they really want a boy only because it is much more “fun” in terms of the clothes and toys you get for them. After all, “You don’t have to worry about boys as much. They can be independent! and that is so cool”. And it’s not just my friends who say that. I’ve heard almost all my relatives say it, random strangers on the bus, and even celebrities. Am I the only one who thinks that there’s something really wrong with this picture?

Whenever I hear these comments I can’t help but think “did feminism ever happen, people?!”
If you have a baby girl, you don’t have to make sure she wears pink dresses all the time, or that she’s playing with barbies and tea sets, or that she’s a useless pretty doll who will depend on someone for the rest of her life. It is just so retro to think that way. Why can’t we raise our boys and girls the same way? Let’s get them the same clothing with the same colors. And no, I’m not talking about “gender neutral colors” like green and yellow, but let’s get them every piece of clothing in every color that is available. Let’s buy every type of toy out there for our children to stimulate their minds in every way. Let’s raise them to be independent, successful, and smart people someday. We are really damaging our children by raising them based on gender roles. If children are treated the same way, then they will see that. And they will never think of a reason why sexism should exist.

And why are women devaluing their gender? Are we really ashamed of the characteristics attached to the female gender? Now is the time to change that. Let’s not “prefer” boys and give in to patriarchy. Let us raise our daughters with confidence and an open mind. Let’s raise our daughters the same way would raise our sons. The same way we would like to have been raised. As cliche as it sounds, children are the future, and the way we raise them will determine the state of feminism tomorrow.

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (8 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)

Read other posts about: , , , , , , , , ,

• Toongrrl @ at 12:10 pm, October 7th, 2010

Oh dear, I heard some people say that. People! If you’re that worried about girls, help them develop some confidence and independence and help them find the tools to protect and stand up for themselves. Being a girl is hard, but it doesn’t have to always be that way.

• Steph @ at 1:26 pm, October 7th, 2010

I think part of it ties in to how we don’t really think of babies (or young children) as people. Sort of how people will call a baby ‘it’, but would be horrified if you were to do that to, say, a teenager.

So since babies aren’t ‘people’, they’re blank slates for all of your hopes and dreams. And not just your hopes, but the ones you’ve been indoctrinated by society to hold, the ones that are just kicking around back there waiting to be let out.

• Ren @ at 2:35 pm, October 7th, 2010

You know, I brought up the China abortions to a friend in highschool, and she flat out did not believe me. Why would anyone lie about something that horrible?

• Jake @ at 4:04 pm, October 7th, 2010

…Seriously… preferring one gender over the other? Whatever reason it is, it just makes no sense. Do people want, say, to have a future world with only people of one gender?

• The Raisin Girl @ at 4:35 pm, October 7th, 2010

My stepbrother’s favorite toy? A kitchen playset. Makes me smile.

I completely agree. Children should not be indoctrinated this way. My grandmother raised me, and she was so excited when she got to do so, because she’d always wanted a girl. Imagine her dismay when the sight of pink, frilly dresses automatically sent me into a temper tantrum! She spent most of my childhood trying to tempt me into girly outfits and get me to “act like a young lady,” and I spent most of it asking why I had to sit with my knees pressed together and my back rod-straight, when all the boys were allowed to sprawl comfortably, legs askew and backs lounging against the seat.

• A @ at 4:47 pm, October 7th, 2010

@Ren: I’m not at all saying that your friend is ignorant, but it’s INSANE that people don’t even know that things like this are happening right now!! The American population, especially youth, is SO ignorant to global affairs. (And I’m a youth myself.)

• JustGirl @ at 4:57 pm, October 7th, 2010

I’ll admit it: I would prefer to have a boy because I feel that I would be less likely to project my own body image/disordered eating issues onto a male child than I would a female. I’m afraid I would damage a daughter irreparably.

Of course, even a son would pick up on how he sees me behave, which is why I daren’t have any children at all…

• Ryan @ at 5:16 pm, October 7th, 2010

Are you against abortion all of a sudden?

• Ryan @ at 5:25 pm, October 7th, 2010

Also, I think people prefer boys because they can take care of themselves and their children without a woman where as women need to be supported by men especially after divorce.

90% of all support payments are made from men to women. Women are just not able to be equal to men. They don’t have what it takes to be our competitors and adversaries. Women survive by eliciting protection and provision from men and government.

I don’t think women will ever be able to support themselves or their children without men or government supporting them.

• Ryan @ at 5:33 pm, October 7th, 2010

The only reason women have gotten as marginally independent as they have is because men have been nice enough to put the weaker gender first with special funding, encouragement programs, Title IX, Affirmative Action “women first” law in college admissions etc. It is also law that men must pay women Alimony because women are unable to survive on their own.

Women require protection and provision. Generally women are in awe of male strength and capabilities. They feel vulnerable to men and look to men and government to protect them.

• Ryan @ at 5:41 pm, October 7th, 2010

I think this is why feminists are againat shared custody of children with the father and also why men don’t have the right to abort responsibility from the mutual act of unplanned pregnancy.

If men had these rights then women wouldn’t have an excuse to make men support them. Women are terrified of equality.

• Ryan @ at 5:52 pm, October 7th, 2010

When you think about it, the last thing women want is for men to have chance at having the choice to take on the female gender role.

Women will never financially support men, it’s just not in their nature. Women are the receptive ones the will not and can not provide. In the vast majority of cases women will not date or marry men who make less money than they do. Women will always be dependent. This is why they have so many women’s groups and organizations. Women huddle closely to eachother because on their own and without support they feel vulnerable.

• rach. @ at 6:24 pm, October 7th, 2010

in a drama class a few years ago, we were asked to research and explore the effects of the one-child policy on chinese women. none of us had ANY idea about it before we were told to research it – one particular article that was passed around the class was about a little girl called ‘mei ming’. the bbc had filmed a documentary on her called ‘the dying rooms’, but we weren’t allowed to watch it, because it would be ‘too upsetting’.
    looking back, i fully support the decision of the school not to allow us to watch it. reading statistics and individual stories makes me sad enough.

also might i suggest that, in a more privileged society where boys aren’t needed for manual labour, a desire for a specifically gendered child stems from more than dress sense or some vague notion of boys being more independent?
    i personally know that i want a daughter one day because my mother and i are really close, and i’d love to have that same sort of relationship with my daughter one day. equally, i know that i want a son because i’ve got a little brother and he’s absolutely awesome.

(there was a documentary on gender disappointment in the western world, too, called ’8 boys and wanting a girl’. i think it’s available online.)

at the end of the day though, i agree with steph: babies aren’t people, they’re blank slates. we don’t give birth to girls or boys, we give birth to human beings.

• Lizbeth @ at 6:40 pm, October 7th, 2010

@Ryan
    What. The. Hell.
    First of all, why on EARTH are you reading a liberal, feminist blog if you have such a ridiculous opinion about women? My parents got divorced almost three years ago and my mother has been perfectly fine raising myself and my two younger brothers since then even though my father almost NEVER paid the child support that he was supposed to. Seriously. Women have and can support themselves without any help from a man.
    SEcond of all, women are NOT the weaker sex, after all WE are the ones who have to give birth. In fact, being pregnant for nine months is the equivalent of running a FREAKING MARATHON. So I suggest that you do a little research before making such idiotic statements like that.

• Natalia @ at 7:37 pm, October 7th, 2010

@Ryan

No matter how much money a woman has, child support HAS TO BE MANDATORY from men. It’s not because women don’t have the money, it is because IT TAKES TWO PEOPLE TO MAKE A BABY. And it is so unfair for the mother to be spending her money on the child and devoting her life to the child while the father gets to do whatever the hell he wants. Both parents have to invest their time when it comes to raising a child.
    And women are financially independent. But as I said, why should 70% of her income go towards the baby when the father only spends 10% of his income when he takes the kid to mcdonalds?

• Ryan @ at 8:54 pm, October 7th, 2010

-”though my father almost NEVER paid the child support that he was supposed to.”-

He did the right thing. Children are something women have, they are women’s property by law both pre and post conception. Men should not have to support someone else’s family. Otherwise how else would a man be able to start a new family?

Children are not something men are allowed to have. At most by law men are visitors. Women and the law say that Fathers are not a necessary part of the family.

Who in their right mind would want to get emotionally close to their children? Fatherhood means sending money or visitation. Fatherhood is something that can be taken away from men by law. Children are something women have.

I grew up this way myself. I don’t really see myself or men as part of the family. My father had to sneak up and see me outside of regular “visitation”. The whole thing is not worth it. I have sex with women but will never want to be close to children or get married.

Marriage is something women want not men.

• Steph @ at 8:54 pm, October 7th, 2010

@Lizbeth, @Natalia:
    It blows off a huge amount of steam to take on Ryan’s bullshit points, but NOTHING CHANGES. The best strategy is to go on like he didn’t even post. Because if we get distracted from the original topic to address his bs, he wins. That’s how trolls work.

• Katherine C. @ at 9:01 pm, October 7th, 2010

I must say that I personally have never heard a woman wish out loud that her future child will be a boy- quite the opposite, actually. But I’m willing to believe that this happens to other people.
    As much as I support any woman’s absolute and irrevocable choice in terms of abortion, I have to admit that the whole gender-selective abortion things really squicks me out. I also think that it’s really clever for you to have linked this horrible phenomenon to women’s devaluation of their own gender. Go you! Keep preachin’ it :)

• Ryan @ at 10:28 pm, October 7th, 2010

If you don’t like the gender of a child you simply kill it in the womb. Feminists are just upset that it is girls that are being killed…

I think of it as poetic justice. Besides if it were boys being killed feminist wouldn’t say anything at all.

• Liz @ at 11:25 pm, October 7th, 2010

@ Ryan : I’m sorry you’re so ignorant. I don’t like troll-baiting, but here are the basics. In Asia, boys are valued more. By selectively aborting girls (I’m pro-choice), the population is getting severely skewed and after a couple generations of this, there are now a lot of boys at a marriageable age but without a sufficient female population to marry. If this kind of selective abortion continues, this could have drastic implications for the countries (areas, it’s mostly rural areas) that participate in it.

China and India have a long history of selective abortion based on gender as well as, pre-abortion, leaving girl babies out to die because having a son brings more honor, as well as traditionally more financial stability in the future. This is practiced most in rural areas, where having a son is more profitable or helpful (with farms, etc.) to have around. Since industrialization, this has changed, and now women/young girls from rural areas are sought after to work in factories. This is an old, deep-seated devalorization of the female sex, and although technically irrelevant now, it continues because it’s hard to change culture.

• Natalia @ at 12:41 am, October 8th, 2010

@Ryan

I don’t even know why you comment on this blog anyway.

• Ryan @ at 1:55 am, October 8th, 2010

Are you kidding Natalia? I come here in hopes that soon, very soon women will realize the reason why we have a record high single mother birth rate of 40% of all births in the U.S.

I come here because marriage rates are at a RECORD low and I know why. I come here because I want a woman and child, I want a family but I can not…. I have no choice now but to go my own way. I will never stop fighting for this. I will never stop fighting because surrender is not an option.

• Natalia @ at 2:06 am, October 8th, 2010

@Ryan

And who are you blaming for this high rate of single mothers? The women?!

I blame it on;

a) Lack of sex ed and information on contraception.
    b) Men who do not take responsability for their own actions. Yes I think that responsible fathers should have the right to participate in their children’s lives when it comes to raising them and it shouldn’t be just about giving them child support. But since some guys think that their ex girlfriend/wife want that child support money for shopping they think that they have no responsability when it comes to feeding a child.

• kanadra @ at 2:27 am, October 8th, 2010

@Ryan; if you “want a woman and child” you sure are going about it the wrong way. Instead of pointing blame on every available woman for the fact that you are single, why not try to be a kind, caring, and positive person?
    Oh, and please, getting repetitive posts (about the same thing) on every single thread is getting frustrating. 5 posts in a row is only you asking for a reaction, and when you get it you’re just so happy. It’s exhausting.

@Natalia/OP : Thanks for your post, and I’m sorry for feeding the troll.

• Nano (Nyxie) @ at 5:05 am, October 8th, 2010

@Ryan: Just because you had a shit family doesn’t mean you get to take it out on the rest of us. My parents divorced, and my parents took equal care of me. It takes families and communities to raise a child, including men, whether it be fathers, grandfathers, uncles, brothers – everyone. Some dads suck and some rock, and you can’t make generalizations about millions of men across America because of your ONE father.

@Natalia K: There is actually reason besides just “girls are worthless” that they get aborted in India and China:

In China, they have a one-child law. While it doesn’t always get reinforced, it does mean that you have to hedge your bets, and in most areas ranging from the success of your child to the likelihood of them being able to take care of you when you are old (which is the tradition there, the opposite of here where we tend to stick our old people in nursing homes), boys are a better bet than girls – ranging from things like labor to sheer opportunity. It’s not pleasant, but it’s a reality – girls aren’t *worthless*, they are just a riskier bet.

India, it’s because girls are expensive to raise, and don’t have as much of a “put-out” as boys – the labor women can do, and the pay they can get for it, is limited. Meanwhile, as parents, you have to assemble a hefty dowry for the girls, and a damn good one, as the custom for when they get married – something which you don’t do for the boys.

In both of those countries, it’s quite largely a class issue – you see an incredibly high number of girls in the higher classes simply because they can afford it. If they have the option of keeping their daughters, they will. But among the lower classes, it often *isn’t* an option, in terms of finance and capability – especially as in the lower classes, jobs and opportunities are generally limited to physical labor, which women are often denied access to as they are physically incapable, as least in the cultural viewpoint. As such, boys become more preferable. If there were an equal number of families in the classes, the two factors would probably balance each other out – but by inherent definition of classes, the lower class drastically outnumbers the higher class, and so boys outnumber girls.

I’m not saying it’s any less detestable, I’m just saying that in many cases – at least over there – the sex-selective abortion doesn’t stem from misogyny, but rather economy.

As for people stating that they want a specific gender of kids *over here* in the West – I’ve seen people say they want boys, and seen people say they want girls. My mom never had a particular preference for a boy or girl. My dad wanted a girl as he grew up around mostly boys, but was rather afraid that he wouldn’t know what to do (so imagine his relief that he got a total tomboy for a daughter).

Interestingly, my extended family and their social circle in India, quite aware of the problems with sex-selective abortions, tend to favor and prefer girls in the family (they are quite rich, over there) – women outnumber men in my extended family quite a bit (by birth – by marriage, they even out).

I have a slightly bigger issue than the “I want a boy/girl” problem – I just don’t want kids, period, and because of that everyone assumes that I have a mental problem. I don’t know why, as I’ve acknowledged that I may want kids in the future, but at this point in time the thought of having children, myself, horrifies me. (People also assumes this means I don’t like kids, so they are continually surprised to see that not only do I like them, but I’m great with kids – I just don’t want one of my own). Due to all of this, I’m not entirely familiar on a personal level with a desire for a gender in a child. I’ve generally planned to raise them the same way my parents raised me, which was with the basic philosophy that “your sex is not your gender”. (Oh the tales/I could regale/of going to toy stores with conservatives… >:D).

• Brit.Addict @ at 6:10 am, October 8th, 2010

China is a completely different cultural ballpark from the US – while I’m not in any means condoning sex-selective abortion (I fully agree with your gender oblivious child’s development comments) the fact remain that traditionally speaking, a girl is signed off to another family at marriage and therefore will no longer take care of her birth parents in old age. In a country with huge levels of income inequality, for a vast number of people a child is the only form of old-age insurance. While it doesn’t support feministic values to select male offspring, it does increase the likelihood that the couple will live comfortably (and survive) in old age. So yes, it’s a horrible thing to consider in a country with a culture like the US, but I don’t know if it’s viable to compare it to China – especially as Chinese political strategies are on the brink of being polarised soon. The Government is realising how far from ideal an aging population with nobody to support them is.

• Ryan @ at 12:57 pm, October 8th, 2010

Your critical thinking skills are lacking Kanadra.

• Ryan @ at 1:03 pm, October 8th, 2010

-”But since some guys think that their ex girlfriend/wife want that child support money for shopping they think that they have no responsability when it comes to feeding a child.”-

A father can spend his own money feeding the child because he could have the option of shared custody. Fatherhood can not be reduced to sending money from afar. Men owe women nothing. Women owe men the right to share in parenting.

• Emily @ at 1:34 pm, October 8th, 2010

@Ryan

“I have sex with women but will never want to be close to children or get married.”

“I come here because I want a woman and child, I want a family..”

These two statements come into direct conflict with each other and what you said. Unless, of course, your idea of “parenting” is simply providing food and shelter and medical care and clothing and toys for a child.

• blakerivers @ at 1:17 am, October 9th, 2010

There are two types of people who would come to a feminist blog, preach extreme masculist ideology, and actually expect to persuade the hearts and minds of that blog community:

1) Idiots.
    2) Trolls.

Those are the two and only two possible types of people that would behave as such. It is futile to attempt to reason with either an idiot or a troll, so this is all rather silly.

• Minnah @ at 8:52 am, October 9th, 2010

Hey, everyone?
    I agree with blakerivers. Why bother arguing against a troll who clearly gets off from the attention? As feminists, we have bigger fights to fight.

• Natalia @ at 4:35 pm, October 9th, 2010

@Ryan

I just want to point out one more thing

Shared custody does exist and it happens when both parents are in a decent situation to raise a child and when the father is interested. I don’t know what you’re arguing about really.
    There are those fathers who don’t care about a shared custody and whatever that is fine. But they should still pay child custody.

• Quinc @ at 2:50 am, October 11th, 2010

@The actual post, actually I do remember reading about a study that showed the exact opposite in the US. When given the option, women choose girls. Sorry, for not having a link. Speculation: Girls are seen as being inherently more pleasant, and thus preferable for children.

Unfortunately the practice of aborting females is ANCIENT in India and China. Yes the extra muscles provide some very practical benefits to choosing male, but I think the main reason is simply the view that only men have the agency to further the family, which of course is the product of intense patriarchy.

@Ryan, seriously, feminists DO NOT WANT WOMAN ONLY CUSTODY. I read a lot of feminist blogs, and rarely see the issue. If anything feminists want the same thing, though perhaps it’s not as big an issue as it should be. Divorcee women often demand custody but the reasons they usually get it are things feminists fight AGAINST, the ancient irrational woman = parent.

But seriously, any marriage you engage in will fail because of your views of women. The belief that your wife is incapable of independence will poison your dating life. Few modern women will put up with such condescending views, which have been demonstrated to be wrong again and again.

I see two general ways to raise marriage rates:

1. Turn back the cultural clock, somehow convincing women they can’t do anything other than cook, clean, and mother, (even though there are plenty of women demonstrating the opposite)

2. Give women an actual rational REASON to get married, with men who offer REAL PARTNERSHIPS, men who love them for who they are and not just what they can do for the guy, without marring that with unfair burdens of housework, childcare, power imbalances, or worse horrifically condescending beliefs about them.

• Quinc @ at 2:53 am, October 11th, 2010

Sorry for the double post,
    In case it isn’t obvious I prefer no. 2 above, here is a little bit of hard scientific evidence why it is better:

• Ryan @ at 2:43 pm, October 11th, 2010

How many times do I have to say it Quinc, men have to financially support women, its the law.

Women are also incappable of defending the territory and resources of our tribe in the event of warfare. I don’t think women will ever share the burdens of the male gender role. Women are not capable of being the equal of men.

• G @ at 3:11 pm, October 11th, 2010

@Natalia
    great post. it’s ridiculous how deep the gender-division runs.

@ryan
    If you think that by repeatedly stating idiotic comments, that you’ll somehow brainwash the feminists on this blog into believing your opinions (no, they’re not facts), or whatever else your stupid reason is, you’re wrong.

you’re only making it seem as though you’re living in your own world, so very far from the truth.

while ryan has fun living under his shell, can we discontinue posting his comments? he has no place here. although i believe that we should learn about various opinions, he isn’t open minded and only has ill intentions. plus, he only repeats the same things over and over and oftentimes takes away from the posts.

• Alexa @ at 3:50 pm, October 11th, 2010

@ Ryan

Enlighten me.

What is so difficult about being a man that women could never share?

• Alex Catgirl @ at 4:16 pm, October 11th, 2010

@Ryan – Stop mucking up the F-Bomb with your “men’s rights” gibberish, there are plenty of boards for Omega males like you.

I’m not going to say exactly how much money mum makes a year, but it’s more than dad and they both make 6 figures, the only person getting support is me and that’s because I’m their brat.

As for defending the tribe, phuck the tribe, what has the tribe ever done for me? LOSERS need tribes as personally, they are failures that need to cling to something bigger than themselves in order to boost their self esteem, so not our problem, we are not your freaken mummies!

• Tessa @ at 6:00 pm, October 11th, 2010

“Women are not capable of being the equal of men.”

Wow, if that’s not a reason to get you kicked off of fbomb, I don’t know what is.

• Ryan @ at 9:55 pm, October 11th, 2010

Ok let’s just say women are unwilling to free men from our gender role which makes feminism as it relates to the family hypocrisy.

You claim ownership of children and ownership of the male body and the fruits of its labor. Men’s bodies are the property of women and the government.

• Liza @ at 10:18 am, October 12th, 2010

Ryan,
    Fun fact of the day: the government is composed of mostly men.
    If their bodies are owned by the government, then doesn’t that mean that men own their own bodies?

• Seth @ at 3:52 am, October 15th, 2010

No it means the government owns men’s bodies.

Men don’t make the rules, the government does. Women tell the government what to do, its called women are the single largest voting block. Women tell the government what to tell men to do. Women make the rules, don’t be a moron.

Men do what women tell us to do. When men refuse other men called white knights or beta males show up to do what women want. You have the pussy you moron. You are the manipulator and the oppressor. You are the privleged gender who is valued by the opposite sex for the simple fact that you exist.

Men must “be” a man and it is women that most often claim the authority of just what that is.

• Seth @ at 4:15 am, October 15th, 2010

Don’t you get it by now? Men are what we are because over the last 7 million years or so who ever was the most attractive to females got the most pussy.

Women selected for and made males what we are. Males are the major selective variable in sexual selection. The Y chromosome is the variable.

Men are what females made us to be. Men and male nature was selected for by females. You are the privleged ones with inherent value while males must be worthy.

It is you who are the privleged ones. Males fight and compete over territory and resources because that is what females want us to do. How do you think all the lines between countries were formed? Human males are not that different from males in the animal kingdom.

Look at the male body, look at our essential nature and you will realize what males are and why we are the way we are. It is not for us…it is for you.

• Anastasia @ at 12:15 am, October 16th, 2010

@Ryan/Seth – What makes being a man such a harrowing experience that you have to resort to trolling a feminist blog full of members that can easily take down your archaic, misogynistic diatribe?
    The writer never said she was against the right to abortion. She said she was against choosing the life of a son over the life of a daughter.
    Also, why are women dominant when you want to say we are, and weak when you want to say we are?

• Sarah @ at 9:53 pm, October 16th, 2010

Seth,
    I’m so sorry. You are obviously the victim of a horrible education system. Where else could you have gotten that twisted view on history?

• Andrew @ at 11:24 pm, October 16th, 2010

@quinc: http://www.in-gender.com/XYU/Gender-Preference/ has some information on statistical data regarding ostensible gender preference in the US.

@ryan: both people involved in conceiving a child are responsible for that child’s well-being. Child support exists, and the laws around it are so draconian, because men historically have simply split when the desire struck them, leaving single mothers to figure out how to support children on their own. If you don’t want to get stuck paying child support, I recommend a vasectomy.

I can say from experience-I have a son and a daughter, and they are both amazing. Anyone who thinks that one is preferable to the other doesn’t have their head on straight.

• Seth @ at 8:20 pm, October 17th, 2010

Women’s strength is their facade of weakness.

• Seth @ at 8:27 pm, October 17th, 2010

Andrew…if men have no interest in fatherhood and our children then why are feminists so against shared custody parenting?

Women want men’s money not for men to be fathers. Money sent from a far can not take the place of a father in the life of a child. Men fight everyday against feminists.

Go to ACFC.ORG AND SIGN THE SHARED PARENTING PETITION.

MEN WILL SOMEDAY EARN THE EQUAL RIGHT TO PLAY A MEANINGFUL ROLE IN THE LIVES OF OUR CHILDREN.

• Natalia @ at 2:31 am, October 18th, 2010

You guys are being seriously ignorant. Since when have feminists been against shared custody? In my opinion, if the father wants it and is financially able to, then why not? Most mothers wouldn’t deny their child from seeing his or her father. My parents are divorced, and as a kid, my dad did not call me often and he saw me every two months. Now he blames it on my mom but I know that’s not true. He just didn’t care or make an effort. Men are always blaming it on women.

PS: Arguing about shared custody is one thing, but what does it have to do with “women being weaker”. It’s totally irrelevant and you guys seem to say just to “piss off feminists”.

• Ang @ at 4:18 pm, October 21st, 2010

I’ve never heard a woman say she wanted a boy over a girl – I always hear girls want girls and boys want boys, but I’m sure it happens the other way around. I don’t agree with aborting a child because of it’s gender, but I wouldn’t be so quick to judge the Asians – while they devalue women, they also have a HUGE population problem, and in their minds aborting a girl (who has the ability to procreate) will ease the burden. I DO NOT AGREE WITH THAT – I juist think that is what their mindset it

• Renee @ at 3:38 pm, August 28th, 2011

I gotta call bullshit on this b/c there’s a diffeence between a) Preferring a gender to another and b) selectively aborting a certain gender its a HUGE difference; just because you PREFER aboy does not mean that an abortion is inevitable if you have a girl also China is very different to the US in terms of oh idk everything…its a very apples to oranges situation

• someone @ at 12:20 am, July 31st, 2012

Heh, some feminism-hating going on in the comments…

China is different from the US, but that does not excuse this pattern. We should fight against all types of gender discrimination everywhere.

I believe women devalue their gender because we learn what the patriarchy “favors,” and women are more respected by men (and other women having the same thoughts) to agree with the patriarchy.

• Truthful Nacho @ at 12:40 pm, July 1st, 2013

I wonder- why make a new human that won’t have its very own uterus?

Plus, we’ve sex selected and aborted so many girls out of the picture that now there is *no* reason to make more boys at this time.

Notice how nature makes more females than males naturally. Now notice how we are told that female/male ratio is about 1:1. That is a *lie*.

Also, notice how humans are the only (?) mammal wherein the females are smaller than the males. Is that natural evolution? NOPE. Women have been bred to be small by patrilinealism. Men have been doing the picking of mates (will you marry meeeee? yak) when women should be doing it.

Executing the whole thing backwards has screwed us. On top of that, having a male with up your chances of being blamed for raising a raper or murderer. So, I can’t wait til I have like 10 daughters!