Pop-Culture | Posted by Talia on 01/25/2011

Boycott “Monster”

misogyny in pop culture at its peak

misogyny in pop culture at its peak

When I first read this article on Experimentations of a Teenage Feminist, the first thing I said to myself was “good God.” It wasn’t a good “good God.” It was a BAD “good God.” A REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, HORRIFICALLY BAD “good God.”

Apparently, parts of Kanye West’s upcoming music video for the single “Monster” were leaked online. (I would like to point out that the album’s title is My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.) In the video, half-naked women are drugged or dead, hanging from chains, as West, Jay-Z, Rick Ross, and Bon Iver make sexual advances towards them. Nicki Minaj also makes an appearance in the video.

The lyrics of the song are pretty bad, too. Bon Iver asks, “Are you willing to sacrifice your life?” Rick Ross then states, “B***h I’m a monster no good blood sucker / fat motherf**ker now look who’s in trouble.” Jay-Z says, “Everybody knows I’m a motherf**king monster” and that “None of you n***as have seen the carnage that I’ve seen…rape and pillage a village, women and children.” Nicki Minaj goes on about how she too is a monster and how she has money now, and that “Bride of Chucky is child’s play.”

West’s lyrics are also appalling. In the chorus, West affirms that he is indeed a monster and calls to his n***as to go to his concert, of course using the f word practically every other word. He then questions whether women are “best living or dead” and informs the listener that he wants “less talk more head,” again firmly establishing that he is a monster and his eyes are “more red than the devil is.” He also complains about how his b***h keeps “acting like I owe her s**t” and is “claiming I bruise her esophagus.”

While I have never, thank God, been physically or sexually abused in any way, shape, or form, I don’t deal with stories of abuse well. When I watched the first three seconds of the video (literally – three seconds), I began ticking and sobbing hysterically. I will not post it or link to it in any form, as I found it to be too disturbing and don’t want to support it any way by giving it more views.

This video crosses a line. Offensive is one thing; I daresay most rap-type videos are offensive to feminists in some way. But this is just sick, perverted, several steps past offensive. Using women as sex objects is obviously troubling, and must be stopped. However, this video goes past that. It says that even if a woman is drugged, drunk, or even dead, it doesn’t matter: you can still use her body however you want to. It reminds me of Ted Bundy, the 1970s serial killer who raped and killed approximately 35 women, and sometimes kept his victims’ bodies to have sex with. I will also note that Ted Bundy was a sociopath.

West seems like he has a lot of anger in him, though. At the 2009 MTV VMAs, when Taylor Swift won the Best Female Video award, he got onto the stage and proclaimed Beyonce’s superiority. When he didn’t win the Best Video Award at the 2007 MTV Europe Music Awards, he also went up onto the stage and argued that he should have won. At a Hurricane Katrina benefit concert in 2005, he accused George Bush of being a racist.

I don’t want to fall prey to the double standard here, but for fear of doing so, I would seriously like to blast Nicki Minaj for participating in this. As a woman, does she not have more self-respect? How could she be willing to be featured in a song that is so disgusting and anti-woman, and then a music video that’s even worse?

This video and song seriously disturbed me. I beg you all to please boycott Kanye West, Jay-Z, Rick Ross, Bon Iver, and Nicki Minaj, as I am doing, and to please sign the petition here to prevent the official release of the “Monster” video.

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (9 votes, average: 2.44 out of 5)

Read other posts about: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

• allie @ at 12:28 pm, January 25th, 2011

i don’t get what the big fuss is, its a song thats suppose to be like a horror movie, hence the name MONSTER, its not tittled nice guy socking it to women is it? you can’t censor things because you don’t feel comfortable with them, can you. i saw the video and it really reminded me of house of a thousand corpses. i love horror movies and this is just that a horror movie song.

• Zoe @ at 1:46 pm, January 25th, 2011

I think Nicki Minaj is what Ariel Levy would call a “female chauvinist pig”. Her brand of female empowerment comes from putting down girls and considering herself one of the guys. I’m not gonna lie, I love her album, it’s been on repeat on my iTunes but I definitely have to tune out the occasional misogyny.

Same goes for Kanye for me. I love his music but I have to tune out his lyrics half of the time. I saw the video and it definitely goes a step too far. If he wanted it to look like a horror movie, then the bodies could have been both male and female and less glamorous looking. The fact that they all looked like dead models, coupled with the misogynist lyrics, makes it hard to argue that he’s NOT targeting women.

• Gordon @ at 2:22 pm, January 25th, 2011

@Allie: Just because it is modeled after a horror doesn’t mean it can’t be sexist. The problem is that the video shows violence towards women SPECIFICALLY, as do the lyrics.

Also, I agree with everything Zoe said.

• Gordon @ at 2:31 pm, January 25th, 2011

Sorry for the double post, but I forgot something in my original:
    I am urging everybody NOT to sign the petition. Just because you find Kanye’s video repulsive does not mean it should not be released.

• Rachel @ at 4:00 pm, January 25th, 2011

I’m so surprised by Bon Iver being part of this.
    Too bad.

• SarahC @ at 6:37 pm, January 25th, 2011

And this is where I part ways intellectually. You see, I’m not just a feminist, I’m also pro-free-speech. And I feel like shutting out one side of speech, whether or not it’s borderline, or even outright hate speech, is purely unethical, and downright patronizing.

You see, as women, we don’t need to be protected from every possible offense. Unless it’s specific threats or harrassment, claiming that somebody needs to silence themselves for us to feel comfortable is falling back on a weakness. We don’t get both worlds, friends. We can’t argue that there’s no reason to exclude us from certain jobs, no reason to pay us any differently than a man, and then turn around and claim that we need special protection from hearing anything disturbing.

Do the described leaks sound disturbing? Yeah. But disturbing has a place in dialogue, and most importantly, disturbing isn’t enough reason to censor someone.

You see, censorship is a slippery slope. Start out censoring anything, and not only do we start killing dialogue, we start killing expression. We may not like what Mr. West is expressing, we may even find it wildly offensive. But somewhere, someone finds at least one belief you hold to be offensive. And, to be honest, you’re probably both in the majority.

So don’t work to silence what offends you. Be loud. Express how you feel, and drown it in the noise. The answer to speech is more speech, not silence.

• Anonymous @ at 7:24 pm, January 25th, 2011

Totally agree with the comment above. The video should not be censored because censorship is wrong. If not for free speech, how would feminism have even spread? Back then, it could have been argued that women trying to gain rights hurt men’s expression or whatnot. And the feminist movement would have died.

Also, you pose a very extremist side to this debate without considering the other possibilities the video may offer, such as discussion. The video sparked a very good discussion about the themes shown on the site called “Racialicious”. Instead of outwardly and hysterically crying “BAN IT!” it may be a little more productive to discuss all the ideas in the video. The discussion on the aforementioned site is very good and discusses themes and ideas that kanye and nicki minaj could have played with or played into.

Also I am not an expert on this video, but sometimes the only way to show something in its severity is to play into some of the horrible tropes and stereotypes associated with it. You didn’t even acknowledge that this could be a possibility with the video. Also your method of unecessary ad hominem attacks against Kanye do not add to this post in any way.

• Niamh @ at 10:40 pm, January 25th, 2011

Why are the explicits asterisked out?

• Selena @ at 10:41 pm, January 25th, 2011

definitely agree with above. censorship is not the answer, and neither is attacking the artist. Look at the video as a great way to open up discussion, as the article on Racialicious did.
    And personally, I love Nicki Minaj’s verse, although I had to turn off the feminist part of my brain to do so.

• Katherine C. @ at 11:07 pm, January 25th, 2011

As horrified as I was by the video when I saw it, I don’t think that it’s this Big Issue that We As Feminists have to Rise Up Against. Like most awful stuff that passes for entertainment in the media, it’s a symptom of our social ills rather than a cause. Yes, it might be the dutiful thing to express our horror, but Kanye is an asshole. We knew that. Move on.

• ellecarter @ at 11:14 am, January 26th, 2011

I love Kanye, Rick Ross, Jay-Z, and Nicki.I’ve been singing this song for months and love it. Hip Hop in this form is genius. You have to be clever and a sponge to everything going on in the world around you to make the kind of music they do. If you were to compare him to any male country musician you would here just as much misogyny , if not more, minus the smarts of Kanyes music. We don’t boycott every song that comes out of Nashville, do we?

Also you should really take another look at Nicki Minaj. If you watch her doc she did with Mtv (My Time Now) I think your opinion would change. It’s obvious she tryng to do things for women not only in hip hop industry but women everywhere. She talks about the double standards she deals with daily and how much harder she has to work. Really you should watch it.

There is tons of art in the world that depicts similar scenes and we can’t/shouldn’t put a veil over all of that. If you want your voice to be heard you have to let others be heard.

• Talia bat Pessi @ at 12:13 pm, January 26th, 2011

I think you guys don’t really get it. This video is showing the watchers (who are maybe not quite as intellectual as the people commenting here) that women’s bodies are there to be used…it doesn’t make a difference if the body is drugged, drunk, or even dead. I really find it rather disturbing that you guys don’t find an issue with this disgustingly misogynist Bundyesque video.

Others’ voices should be heard, yeah; I support free speech as much as you guys do. But when that free speech involves dead women hanging from the ceiling while a singer tries to rape them, I’ve gotta put a line somewhere.

I asterisked out the bad words because I really just hate bad words (it’s the conservative background in me, I know, but I cringe when I hear people curse).

• allie @ at 12:26 pm, January 26th, 2011

to the post above me, i don’t think so, i saw the whole video and it had a zombie them going on, there were women eating men, what about that, and seriously i don’t think he’s trying to tell men to go out and rape women, he’s calling himself a monster, not a good guy. if you get mad at him you have to get mad at every horror movie monster that goes after and kills the young girl running away from them!

• Talia bat Pessi @ at 2:21 pm, January 26th, 2011

As noted in the post, I did not actually watch the video; I started, but after three seconds I saw a dead woman’s body hanging from a noose from the ceiling, started sobbing hysterically and freaking out, and stopped. I’m relying on what people bigger and better than me have said about the video…Danielle at Experimentations of a Teenage Feminist (http://teenage-feminist.blogspot.com/2011/01/help-stop-official-release-of-kanyes.html), Meg at Reclaiming Roe (http://reclaimingroe.blogspot.com/2011/01/prevent-kanyes-video-release.html), and Sharon at Adios Barbie’s 6500 signatures’ worth petition against the video (http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/prevent-official-release-of-kanye-wests-women-hating-monster-video/).

Kanye West is calling himself a monster, yes – that is PRECISELY the point!!! He’s saying that he’s a monster, he’s going out and attacking women, and people use singers and actors and whatnot as role models whose actions they try to emulate (think the kid who burned down his house after seeing it on Beavis and Butthead) – people will see this video and say to themselves on a subconscious level, “Kanye West is treating women like dirt, then so can I.”

I don’t watch horror movies for a reason. They disturb me too.

• ellecarter @ at 2:22 pm, January 26th, 2011

I don’t think you’ve read all the lyrics, and if you have i don’t think you “get” them.Judging by the lyrics you picked out and what you wrote about them you have really misinterpreted the song.Maybe you aren’t as “intellectual” as you think?

BTW “(who are maybe not quite as intellectual as the people commenting here)” is insanely offensive. If you want to be PC and be taken seriously don’t make such generalized stereotyped comments. You clearly don’t know/understand any of these artist’s audience’s.

And once again who are you to judge Nicki as a woman. She owes you nothing. Clearly you didn’t even understand her verse because even though she mentioned money she was talking about her success. Gender aside she has conquered the rap game in a big way after being on the scene only a few short years.

• Talia bat Pessi @ at 3:54 pm, January 26th, 2011

@elle – I did read all the lyrics, at this link http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/kanyewest/monster.html. I really don’t see more than one way to interpret the song… I never claimed to be personally intellectual. I just call em as I see em.

I honestly did not mean that offensively – I was just trying to say that the IQ of the commenters on this blog is probably higher than that of the average population. Upon reading the comment over I see how it seems stereotypical, but I didn’t mean it that way as I wrote it. I apologize for that.

As I said in the original article, I don’t want to fall prey to the double standard, but it’s really in poor taste for a self-respecting woman to associate with such a woman-hating video. I’m not really familiar with Ms. Minaj’s work at all – I heard the song “Your Love” before and was on her Wikipedia page at some point, but I don’t really know her as an artist. To me, it’s just extremely self-hating to appear in a video that’s so degrading to women, and considering I barely heard of her before, I didn’t think she was a such a big influence on the rap world. This isn’t usually my type of music, so I’ll defer to your knowledge.

• natasha @ at 4:50 pm, January 26th, 2011

this made me so mad. i really don’t like kanye west. he’s like a poster child for woman hate now. and he really does seem like a monster.

• ellecarter @ at 5:52 pm, January 26th, 2011

Once again I don’t think you or the other people who signed that petition understand Kanye/his music/his style/his art. And clearly you don’t have the capacity or open mindedness to if your unable to understand the lyrics. I’m not saying he’s totally positive but I certainly would never call him dangerous or bad. I also don’t think you know anything about the hip hop world. And that makes your argument/voice seems pretty invalid. If you knew more about the hip hop world you would have much bigger fish to fry.

• ellecarter @ at 5:53 pm, January 26th, 2011

you’re*

• Talia bat Pessi @ at 6:22 pm, January 26th, 2011

I may not, and you may be right. I don’t know. I try to be open-minded, but I’m seriously not seeing more than one way to interpret this. I think you’re being too close-minded in that you’re saying you would “never call him dangerous or bad” – never say never!

And even if I don’t understand hip hop, I think that Ms. Latoya Peterson at Racialicious (linked to by the Ms. blog) does http://www.racialicious.com/2011/01/18/black-monsterswhite-corpses-kanyes-racialized-gender-politics/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Racialicious+%28Racialicious+-+the+intersection+of+race+and+pop+culture%29&utm_content=Google+Reader, and she says that “Kanye’s images were meant to both disturb and titillate,” and that everyone is making such a big deal about this because “Kanye violated the norms of the usual amount of misogyny by making the women two things: (1) dead and (2) white.” I know that I personally would have made an equally big deal if the women depicted were black, but I think she’s right in saying that.

Disagree with me all you want, but minds better than mine are saying the same thing.

• ellecarter @ at 6:52 pm, January 26th, 2011

One: i never mentioned race in any of this and neither did your original article,so i don’t understand what that article has to do with this. I’m in no way commenting on her article i skimmed it and don’t see how it relates to this convo. Two: “Kanye’s images were meant to both disturb and titillate,” NO SHIT!!! That is the point! You’re playing into what he wants. He wants people to be shocked and you were. Three: You said you don’t listen to rap/hip hop so what exactly is your whole point and what does it have to do with you? If you don’t like something turn it off or don’t watch it.

oh and ps. just because you agree with someone elses opinion doesn’t make it or other peoples any more or less valid.

• Liza @ at 7:43 pm, January 26th, 2011

@Talia:
    I’m starting to think that you’re not really providing your own opinion on this. You keep insisting that people with “minds better than [yours]” are saying this, so it must be true. Maybe your argument would hold more weight if you did some research on hip hop?

I personally don’t like the music either, I just don’t care enough to be offended by this. People who listen to this music aren’t idiots who will mindlessly follow the lyrics.

• Ashleigh @ at 8:28 pm, January 26th, 2011

I am not afraid to say that I am one of those “not as intellectual” that the author was referring to. I can’t keep up with all your intelligent responses, however, I do COMPLETELY AGREE with the author.

I DO listen to rap and hip hop. Have all my life. I enjoy a good beat and the delivery of lyrics, but I recognize a distasteful song or set of lyrics when I hear it. Whether it be about women being sex objects, drug use or violence towards anyone.

Just because you like hip hop doesn’t mean you come to its defense when it is clearly portraying something sick and repulsive.

It may be easy for the more intellectual, educated people out there to say, “Oh, free speech” and “It isn’t really promoting what you think” BUT what about the impressionable youth of our country? Parents aren’t always watching, listening and teaching their kids. This video would be playing on daytime television where children can see it. Even if we ourselves are the best parents we can be and wouldn’t let our children be perverted by material such as this, it is IMPOSSIBLE to speak for other less attentive parents.

• Talia bat Pessi @ at 8:42 pm, January 26th, 2011

@elle You need really read the article to get to the points I’m talking about – not all of it is about race.

@Liz I’m bringing up other authors to back up my opinion rather than depend on their words – to show that I’m in solidarity with others. A teacher I had in eighth grade and that I’m still close with always drilled it into our heads to back up our points and opinions to be taken seriously, and it’s hard to break well-taught habits :)

@Ashleigh My thoughts exactly. Thanks.

• Talia bat Pessi @ at 8:43 pm, January 26th, 2011

@elle In addition, I left it out before – it has to do with me because I’m a human being who has to live with the negative effects this video will have on society.

• ellecarter @ at 9:15 pm, January 26th, 2011

Like I mentioned Kanye West isn’t the first person to do something wildly offensive/misogynistic in the music world. So why are we only talking about him?

@Ashleigh How can you listen to hip-hop all the time when almost all hip-hop/rap music has misogyny laced into it.

It’s articles like this petty shit that turns so many women off from feminism. We have bigger things going on in the world and thats what pisses me off the most about all of this.

Oh btw I’m also a human being and I’m happy we have more amazing music in the world, thanks to Kanye, especially music that showcases incredible female talent like Nicki Minaj.

I’m done with this convo now, gonna go listen to all my free G.O.O.D Fridays now!! LATE.

• Talia bat Pessi @ at 10:12 pm, January 26th, 2011

Of course Mr. West is not the first person to do something like this. I should hope that feminists have shunned other artists who have done similar things. If Shmanye Shmest releases a video tomorrow in which he rapes dead women, I’ll blast that too.

Elle, I don’t want to seem like I’m attacking you, but before you stated that you understand hip hop, so I’m assuming that you listen to it – why are you asking Ashleigh how she can listen to hip hop if it’s so misogynistic when you do? (I apologize if I make my assumption incorrectly. If I do, please ignore this.)

I really think that this music video is far from petty s**t. This is an extremely disturbing video that way passes the borderline for the sociopathic (I make the parallel to Ted Bundy above). To me, this video encourages violence against women, just underlines the concept that women’s bodies are public domain and anything can be done to them.

We also have great music and female talent thanks to other singers…think Support Women Artists Sunday!

• ellecarter @ at 10:58 pm, January 26th, 2011

I was gonna end this but i want you to know i don’t feel attacked. This kind of discussion is what this site is for and it’s wonderful. There aren’t a lot of places young women feel comfortable having these sorts of debates and discussions and the fact that i can come on here and voice my opinion feels good. I mean I know at this point were probably in a agree to disagree place buts that’s okay. We both have spent the afternoon having this passionate conversation(with a total stranger) and were going to end it still calling ourselves feminist’s and standing up for what we believe in. And that is whats important. thanks for humoring me all day and continuing to talk to me. sorry if I offended you at all during my rants. Maybe we’ll run in to each other again on another post, but bye for now.

• Talia bat Pessi @ at 11:52 pm, January 26th, 2011

Good – I was afraid I was being a little too incendiary :)

You didn’t offend me at all – as you said, we’ve all got free speech, and we’re all allowed to have our own opinions.

• Maxine @ at 5:59 pm, January 27th, 2011

I think it it is ridiculous that this is something that’s on our (feminist) agenda. There are other things that we can be petitioning against that actually FORWARDLY impact the everyday citizen. Right now, we shouldn’t be signing petitions to take off a rappers music video. We should be signing petitions and marching to make sure that women around the world remain safe and happy. This is honestly a waste of time. It is so completely and utterly minimal to attack one video, when it is only a symptom of an already sick system, want to be active, send a letter to MTV telling them that you would like them to open a forum which allows people to discuss there shows on national T.V. That’s something worth it, not this.

• Lolita @ at 5:10 am, January 28th, 2011

While I support free speech the video goes too far. And borders on hate speech, never mind physiology and brain plasticity, we are all much more impressionable than we like to believe. Children, young adults even more so. It doesn’t ‘pull the trigger’ as it were but it certainly gives the gun in already unstable hands more bullets.

• David @ at 10:08 am, January 28th, 2011

As someone has said, “Art imitates life.” Sadly, art (if you can call all of it art) depicting violence and disrespect against women is on the rise.
    Feminists have won equality through the struggles of tough, resourceful and determined women. It’s possible that the price paid for this has been some respect.

• Willow @ at 6:23 pm, January 28th, 2011

Unfortunately OP, your position is a little difficult to take seriously when you say you started watching the video and then “started sobbing hysterically and freaking out”, especially since you state that you have never been a victim of rape or abuse. It just gives me a mental image of you as the kind of person who crusades for other people’s problems – like someone who isn’t disabled getting all high and mighty about something that may or may not offend people with disabilities. Emotional responses are natural and are going to happen, but churning out a post about your hysteria isn’t going to lead to many people taking you seriously.

I have been raped, and I am still able to look at this issue objectively. Yes, perhaps there are things out there in the world that disgust and frighten you, but that doesn’t mean that you should go around censoring everything. If you don’t like it, don’t look at it. If you don’t buy Kanye’s record, you’re not supporting him by giving him money. It’s the same as if you had a strong opinion on vegetarianism – you just wouldn’t eat meat. If you went around preaching about it, people would get a little annoyed.

Another point I wanted to make is that you don’t seem to have really formed your OWN opinion about this. Your article and ensuing comments are basically a rehashing of other people’s posts, which seems rather fan-girly. I think you need to take a look inside yourself, decide what YOU want to say, back it up with facts instead of hysteria, and then write about that instead.

• Carrie @ at 9:18 pm, January 28th, 2011

I’d first like to add that it is not my intent to belittle the arguments of the writer or those who have posted in the comments. If I repeat any points that have already been made in discussion, I’ve done so by mistake. I’d also like to apologize for how UNNECESSARILY LONG this comment is.

Now, there are a few things I’d like to say:
    1) I find the claim that Kanye West is advocating violence toward women nothing short of ridiculous. Saying that is to put yourself on par with those who thought Marilyn Manson at least partially responsible for the Columbine shootings. The last couple of lines in the song* seem to make the point that Mr. West doesn’t approve of his own actions, much less those who would try and act like him. I’ll admit, however, that my interpretation of “Monster” is personal. Meaning, it is also very likely flawed.
    2) Regardless of all that, it obvious here that Kanye West was/is out to shock. He has obviously succeed in that goal. Beyond this, however, there are some subtleties to be found within his work. Though it’s reasonable to worry there are people who will take and misinterpret the imagery this video, it’s insulting to assume that will always be the case. Let’s have some faith in today’s youth.
    3) Comparing Kanye West to Theodore Bundy is pretty extremist, don’t you think?
    4) And, let’s suppose that we all agree Kanye West is a misogynist pig. Does he, as an artist, deserve to be censored because of that? Would you support the right of someone else to try and censor more feminist-friendly media? We cannot try to undermine an artist based solely on ideas that they may or may not espouse. If anything, the way to get our message out is to take such media and make it our own. I personally think it is still possible to, as a feminist, appreciate media that goes against some of my core beliefs. After all, one can still stop and enjoy the decidedly misogynist work of Dr. Dre or John Cassavetes, just as one can still look up to Gloria Steinem and Margaret Sanger**, both of whom have said some truly horrifying things on the subject of race.
    5) On the seemingly ever-present Nicki Minaj: Should she be ashamed for participating in this song/video? Minaj has been extremely vocal about how it feels to be a female in a male-dominated profession; I’m sure she had her reasons for wanting to be a part of this song/video. It’s rare to find such an outspoken women to present in the mainstream media, and I think I like her so much because she respects herself enough to make her own decisions. Also, it’s obvious that the other men involved in the song/video view her as an equal, not an object. I’d argue that, because of all this, her presence in the video is far from anti-woman.
    6) This whole argument is what I would consider a trivial, First World problem. Don’t we, as young feminists, have more important things to be talking about and raising awareness for? I’m not saying that it isn’t necessary to think/converse about things of this nature, pop culture has an important place in feminist dialogue. But, to put so much time and effort into uselessly boycotting a Kanye West video? We could all be out volunteering as clinic escorts right now.
    7) I hold no particularly strong opinions on Kanye West. That being said, a lot of people would argue that George Bush is actually pretty racist.

* “I-I crossed the line-line?
    And I’ll-I’ll let God decide-cide
    I-I wouldn’t last these shows
    So I-I am headed home”
    **For the record, I’m aware that Margaret Sanger is dead.

• firefly @ at 9:51 pm, January 28th, 2011

Is it a horror movie, or draw on that for its influences? Maybe. But the issue here is that it is glorified, and the main singers here are invariably popular and therefore not going to be vilified as much as a serial killer in a slasher movie.

And censorship? That would not solve the problem, because the real problem is ignorance. People think that raping and abusing women is okay, and they need to learn otherwise. Feminist thinking has to be more prevalent in society. Releasing the video would just allow people to think that that’s okay.

@David: If feminists have won equality, how come women are less respected now? Those two statements are contradictory.