Pop-Culture | Posted by Amanda VS on 03/22/2011

No Makeup Day

wash away the makeup

wash away the makeup

Every morning, you pull out your makeup bag before rushing out the door. As you pencil in your eyebrows, your waterline and around your lids, you don’t even think about what you’re doing and why. It’s as ordinary to you as brushing your hair and teeth.

Every morning, men don’t pull out their makeup bags like we do (for the most part). They don’t pencil in their eyebrows, their waterline and around their lids. They don’t make sure their flaws are covered and their cheekbones are flushed. And that’s normal — because something would be ‘wrong’ with them if they did. Men don’t wear makeup (for the most part).

But I want you to think about something that occurred to me the other day. My boyfriend and I were waking up, and he told me to go put on my makeup so we could go out for breakfast. Suddenly it hit me: Why do I have to put on makeup? I mean sure, he doesn’t actually care if I wear it, and I could walk out the door without putting any on. But why does society insist that women wear makeup while men go natural? Men can just wake up and walk out the door, but women must spend ten, fifteen, thirty minutes (any more is crazy) applying foundation, concealer, highlighter, blush, bronzer, eyeliner, brow-liner, mascara, etc.

I know this issue is nothing new, but it kind of seems like society is slapping women in the face — telling them to put makeup on their faces because men look better naturally, and women need to work harder to look more attractive. I’m sure if you were sans makeup next to your man and a camera you would put a hand over your face, while he would smile at ease. There is something wrong with this picture.

I propose we create a No Makeup Day in order to raise awareness of this issue. There have been many no makeup days that people have created, but I think we should make it an occurring world-wide event. That is why I have created a Facebook event for Sunday, April 3rd called “No Makeup Day“. Please join to tell society that we need to change the way we think of beauty.

Amanda also runs the website Flurt

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (7 votes, average: 4.86 out of 5)

Read other posts about: , , , , , ,

• Katherine C. @ at 11:04 am, March 22nd, 2011

Every day is No Makeup Day for me!

well, I do wear a bit of lipstick, because I am slightly anaemic and my lips are very chalky without color; people ask me if I’m sick. But that takes about ten seconds.

• Devin @ at 11:38 am, March 22nd, 2011

I agree with Katherine. I put on some lotion and that’s it. If I’m going out in the sun, I put on sunscreen. And I’m 25 and have been working full time for 4 years.

You have now made this observation that men don’t wear make up and women do. So change it. Don’t make a “no make up day,” make a lifestyle change. If it bothers you that much, one day is not going to make as much of a statement as changing your entire way of doing things.

Of course, you have to do what makes you comfortable and what keeps you happy in your own skin.

• jULIET @ at 1:02 pm, March 22nd, 2011

I never really wear much makeup either unless I’m going to a concert or party (which is relatively rarely for me). It’s never been much of an issue for me personally, but I know it is for other girls.

If one does not want to wear makeup, they do not have to.

• Allie @ at 2:38 pm, March 22nd, 2011

its not one for me either. i don’t wear makeup to school i only save it for special occasions. but i may get some hate for this i think men have different skin then women, thats why they don’t really wear make up. then again i know some metrosexual guys who do take care of their skin as a women would. i know some guys who are punk and wear eye liner. i think its a personal choice. it doesn’t make you any less then a feminist if you wear it. if it makes you happy then that is your choice. no you shouldn’t wear it for men, i do it for myself. i also know back in the day women who wore make up were considered sluts. a good women did not wear makeup, women actually fought for the right to put on lipstick, no joke! if i find the article i’ll post it

• VictoriaL @ at 2:50 pm, March 22nd, 2011

Makeup subconsciously makes girls so much more insecure and underconfident! Not bothering about your looks in general makes you feel better about yourself.
    I agree that a lot of girls don’t realise this and I think a no-makeup day would be really useful.

• Marie B @ at 3:24 pm, March 22nd, 2011

Not bothering with your looks is not going to make everyone feel better about themselves. In some cases it acts as a warning sign for doctors of teenage girls.

• Marisol @ at 4:50 pm, March 22nd, 2011

I look basically the same without make-up. I get flushed just from walking and eye-liner, mascara, eye shadow have little to no effect on my eyes. So sure, I’ll participate in this.

• Peggy @ at 4:52 pm, March 22nd, 2011

My office prefers women to wear make-up and plus, I look dreadfully sick (my lips are quite pale!)without it. It’s sad…

• VictoriaL @ at 5:02 pm, March 22nd, 2011

Sorry Marie B, that was a generalization. I only mean to say that a lot of girls are more confident when they feel free to choose whether to bother about their looks or not. As most girls have nothing wrong with them, a little less self-consciousness might improve their self-esteem. Thinking that they won’t be acceptable or they’ll be ugly if they don’t wear any makeup is definitely a sign of insecurity, don’t you agree?

• Talia bat Pessi @ at 6:50 pm, March 22nd, 2011

I hate make up, I think it makes people look ugly, to be honest. I only wear glitter and stuff like that when I go to a concert.

• Ariel @ at 7:19 pm, March 22nd, 2011

I wear make up everyday and my self esteem is fine. I think no makeup day would be a huge flop…mostly because there are way more important things to boycott, and people would dismiss it as frivolous, because it kind of is. Just don’t wear make up on your own if you feel uncomfortable. honestly, you aren’t making much of a statement in a time when most beauty magazines are championing the “natural” look.

• Kristen A @ at 7:39 pm, March 22nd, 2011

Ariel, I would hardly call slathering foundation, powder, bronzer and coverup on your face a “natural” look, regardless of what a magazine tells me. While I also choose to wear make up, I do so to enhance my natural beauty and because my uneven skin tone makes me uncomfortable. While I would love to be confident going truly natural and without any make up, I’m not quite there yet.

• What are the positive in the quite nice girls? | girls numbers @ at 7:59 pm, March 22nd, 2011

[...] No Makeup Day | fbomb [...]

• Halle @ at 9:30 pm, March 22nd, 2011

Just a slightly random comment but we use makeup to give us big eyes, clear skin, and full lips. We, not just as a society, but as a human race, favor these attributes. I know, I know, beauty is subjective and different places all around the world have a different idea of what beauty is. However, I have researched this study before, and there is a lot of global evidence that these attributes are considered attractive. So what? What does attractive really mean. If you have every looked into the science behind the book series Uglies, you will find out that evolutionarily, these attributes were looked for in a mate, both male in female. The reason is that they actually show that an individual will most likely have healthy children, an evolutionary must. Despite how things are today, we find facial symmetry attractive because it shows that there wasn’t much skinness as a child, an attribute that most people want for their children. Big eyes, clear skin, and full lips suggest youth, and yet again baby-making evolution strikes again. I know this is off topic, but I have always been interested in the science behind global beauty, so here it is.
    Great article by the way! I will wear no makeup on the 3rd.

• O'Phylia @ at 1:27 am, March 23rd, 2011

Seeing as I don’t wear make up, this will be a breeze~

• Mollie @ at 4:42 am, March 23rd, 2011

Bravo! I am SO attending. I do wear make up now and then, casually or otherwise – I admit grudgingly that it is out of insecurity and embarrassment, but you can never blame women or anybody else for wearing it for employment, for their own enjoyment or what have you. It’s been so instilled in us that we “need” it, even though we honestly don’t – especially when men have the opposite pressure on them… We are made to feel insecure by money-hungry business giants that sell us pore-clogging disguises. They know it, too.

Regardless, FUCK YEAH NO MAKE UP DAY!

• Clara @ at 6:21 pm, March 23rd, 2011

It should be more about choice, in my opinion. If someone likes the way they look better with/without makeup, then that is how they decide to present themselves. We should get rid of the mentality that you aren’t normal/you’re ugly etc if you don’t wear makeup, and try and show that you’re beautiful no matter the level of makeup you do or don’t wear.

• HelloHello @ at 11:50 am, March 24th, 2011

I always wear make up, as a way to express myself, mostly. My self esteem is ok, but I ENJOY it, I like that I can change the way I am perceived by the world with a few products, I love that my entire face can change at my command, I love that I can look like all the versions of me that I couldn’t really show people without it, because I’m a bit shy.

I think, on the other side, that the fact that “men don’t wear make-up” is quite more negative. I have a couple of friends who are boys who really want to wear makeup, but are forced to experiment with it while locked in bathrooms or something, because anybody, including their parents, would be very angry at them if they saw them like that. It’s “gay”. Reverse sexism and homophobia together?

I believe people should make the choices they want with their faces, regardless of gender (or sexual orientation, for I have been told I can’t wear make-up if I’m a lesbian.)

• selects @ at 7:40 am, March 25th, 2011

agreed with hellohello-i only wear makeup when i feel like creating a ‘look’. i don’t wear it to look prettier or feel better about myself. however, when i was a teenager i was so ashamed of my looks i would REFUSE to leave the house without makeup, even if it was just to go to the supermarket for 5 minutes. it did make me feel worse about myself and it took a very very very long time to be comfortable without it. so i think a no makeup day is not a bad idea at all

• Rosemary @ at 4:26 am, March 26th, 2011

awesome idea. i wear tons of makeup but really don’t need to.

• Nereida @ at 8:40 pm, April 7th, 2011

I wear light makeup most days. I think that it is not as important to not wear make up as it is to be comfortable with yourself (that is the real message). I do not think that most women need makeup to look beautiful. Heavy makeup especially is not very attractive. I have friends that never wear makeup and always look very beautiful; it’s definitely wrong that women are told that make up is necessary. I wouldn’t mind if a man wore concealer if he had a pimple or dark circles under his eyes. I usually wear bareminerals powder, because it is good for my skin and makes it look better, so why not? I almost never wear mascara, my lashes are long enough, also I wear tinted lip balm. I don’t think that “no make up day” is going to help anyone. I think that people should just strive to be comfortable with themselves, with or without make up. If a person can roll out of bed, look in the mirror, and say “I’m beautiful”, that is enough. Whether they put on makeup after that is irrelevant.

• Tssxiix @ at 5:58 pm, May 25th, 2011

I discovered this far too late, but I felt that a big thumbs up for the sentiment is warranted.

I mean. I am not someone who normally wears makeup (except sometimes for lip balm with a bit of color, but TBH, that also only because of the smell), but I have received negative atttention for my unwillingness to wear makeup that it stops being funny!

By now, I want burkahs to be mandatory. But for both genders. This seems to be the only way how society can stop obsessing about something ridiculous as beauty.

• teo @ at 9:29 am, July 18th, 2012

Everyday is a no makeup day for me too!!!

And I’ll never cover up my face, so that I wouldn’t be couth on camera without makeup. It also makes no sense at all, that my boyfried would want we to put on make up before we go out – after all he sees me mostly without makeup and obviously he likes it, sinse he is my boyfriend.

Espesially in the workplace it’s not at all expected that you would wear makeup, it’s even more of the opposite. At least in Germany.

So cudos on the idea, little steps are very important – maybe it’ll spead around. And feel free to try out a “No Makeup Week” – maybe the extra half hour a day can be used otherwise and a life without makeup is not bad at all :)